Sea cucumbers are considered as delicacy and used for human consumption from ancient times. The harvested product is variously referred to as Teripang in Indonesia, Gamat in Malaysia and Haisom, Hoisom (Haysem) in Mandarine. Hai means sea and som means ginseng. Haisom or sea cucumber is considered as a nutritious food from the the sea in Chinese descent community. Dont get hesitate to purchase the dried sea cucumber in chinese store because this ugly looking creatures is can shocked you for it’s price. Mine was about 200 USD for a kilos of gamma (prickly sea cucumber).
Dried sea cucumber must be prepared or soaked several days prior to cooking, thats why i suggest you soaked the sea cuucmber in a large batch and save it in the freezer.In my previously post about How to Preparing and Soaking Dried Sea Cucumber, you should follow the instruction carefully because actually you won’t to ruined this pricey chinese ingredient.
Despite the pricey price tag, sea cucumber or haisom is actually taste bland and had a chewy and jelly like texture. Ths is pricey due to health benefits and i guess you’ll gonna dissapointed if you espected such a gourmet ingredients.Even sea cucumber is sctually taste bland, but it can well absorb the flavour and seasoning surround it. That’s why sea cucumber is usually cooked in superior stock/broth.
They are a kind of sea food that is of high nutritious value. Though they live in the sea, the sea cucumber is of a warm-tonifying nature. Similar to ginseng in this regard, they are called Haisom (Haysem) hai means sea and som means ginseng. Haisom or sea cucumber is considered as a nutritious food from the the sea in Chinese descent community. Sea Cucumbers are a type of high-protein, low-fat, and low-cholesterol seafood. They have essence-replenishing, blood-nourishing, skin-moistening, complexion-beautifying, and anti-aging properties. In particular, they are beneficial to elderly people.
Since my sister just give birth of my lovely nephew, Calvin Matthew Sihombing, i’ve made a collagenous and replenish food for newly giving birth mother fot this following weeks. My little hero was born with 50 cm lenght and weighted 3,6 kilos with literary half weight on his chubby cheek :). Here several recipe for early giving birth mother that i’ve been posted before:
- Hongkong Style Steamed Fish with Egg White and Ginkgo Biloba Nuts, Jeonbokjuk: Korean ABALONE Porridge ala Dentist Chef,
- Steamed Marble Goby Fish with Preserved Fermented Soybean (Tauco/Miso) Paste
- Steamed Chicken with Fermented Black Bean & Mushroom
- Resep Steamed Marble Goby with Ginger & Garlic Paste (Ikan Malas Betutu Tim/Steam Bawang Putih) ala Dentist Chef
- Stewed Fish Maw With Oyster Sauce and Enoki & Wood Ear Mushrooms
- Beggar Chicken / Ayam pengemis : Chinese New Year Recipes ala Dentist Chef
Braised Abalone Recipe :
- 2 @ 300 gr Rehydrated/Prepared Dried Sea Cucumber
- 6 pairs of duck/ goose feet/web, blanched, peeled
- 5 medium Rehydrated/ Prepared Dried Abalone
- 6 cloves garlic, bruished
- 1/2 pack enoki mushrooms
- 3 dried hioko/ chinese mushroom, soaked, quartered lengthwisely
- 1 dried woodear mushroom, soaked, cut 1 inch lengthwisely
- 1 1/2 tbsp premium oyster sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch, dissolved with 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ang ciu/rice cooking wine
- 2 L Superior Stock
How to Cook Braised Dried Abalone in Superior Stock :
- Heat up the 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan, let it browned a little bit
- Put the prepared sea cucumber, prepared abalone, duck/goose feet, and mushrooms, saute about 2 minutes
- Pour the superior stock, bring it to boil
- Simmer with your lowest flame for about 2-3 hours until the stock is reduced
- Nearly done, add the enoki mushrooms
- Thicken the gravy with dissolve corn starch and add the sesame oil for last touch
- Voila your braised sea cucumber is ready to serve in your special celebration