Perfectly Seared Kobe Style Ribeye Steak with Creamy Mushrooms Sauce Recipe with Heston Blumenthal Method. I love beef steak all the way, the best ever beef steak for my licking must be flavoursome, juicy and yet tender, especially when it’s melt in my mouth. My searching of perfection about how to seared beef steak driven me to Heston Blumenthal Method that combine an easy and home friendly fridge dry aging method and scientific maillard reaction. When i post my last Grilled Wagyu Beef Steak with Roasted Pepper Sauce Recipe, my friend Eva Taylor from Kitchen Inspirations suggest me about The Perfect Steak- Heston Blumentha Video
I’m using Kobe Style USA Wagyu Ribeye from Food Hall Supermarket. This wagyu steak was tagged 16 USD (IDR 162.580= 3 pounds of regular beef) for about ONLY almost 200 gr (83 USD per kilo) of it, sounds incredibly pricey and i though this Heston’s Blumenthal method has to be works unless i’m gonna damn him for ruined my pricey wagyu ribeye . The Kobe-style ribeye beef steak itself was intensly marbled and for sure it’s gonna be tender, how juicy the meat and how crusted the seared outer layer is all about i’m gonna to prove with Heston’s method.
To make a perfect seared steak, you should follow the steps:
Step 1- First step is dry aging the beef steak in the fridge by placing the steak above metal wire rack and left it undisturbed for at least two days. The beef aging concentrates the flavour in the steak by evaporation and also break down or tenderized the meat by active enzymes works. The beef is ready when it’s outer layer turn into some waxy and firmer texture when you touch it. Never forget to take the steaks out of the fridge for a couple of minutes until it reach the room temperature before you cooked it
Step 2 – Second step was the searing the beef steak. Heat a cast iron frypan until sizzling hot, i mean very-very hot until it freakingly mad smoking. Never forget to turn off your smoke alarm before you cooking the steak and luckily i don’t have one. Heston even warns that it will feel like you might burn your house down but you won’t. My aunty who lives next to me even asked what i’m doing and i just replied “it’s okey Tante (aunty), i just made steak”. I sprinkle some salt and black pepper (the original recipe didn’t add the black pepeprcorn) on the steak and add a layer of oil to the pan. You can use your stopwatch for countdown, but i’m using my mind as i used to be countdown the time for composite dental filling light cure. I put the steak on the pan and allow it to cook for 15 seconds then turn it over every 15 seconds for totally about 2 minutes for my 1 3/4 inches thick (200gr) wagyu ribeye steak.
Step 3- The third steps was resting the meat. Once you’ve removed the steak from the pan, stick your meat with meat termometer in the thickest part of the stek, rare should be 45C/113F, medium 55C/131F and well done 65C/149F. Mine was 49C and i guess it’s perfectly medium rare and exactly what i wanted to. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before serving. Just look at my perfectly seared Kobe-Style USA wagyu ribeye photograph and you’ll know it was perfectly medium rare steak and don’t forget to notice the melted fat all over the meat and it’s made the damn hell pricey wagyu steak as tender and melted as heaven.
The verdict of the steak with Heston’s Blumenthal method it’s pretty damn works with my US Kobe-style wagyu ribeye. The Maillard reaction or simply caramelization of amino acids (protein) and reducing sugars that gives browned color and crusted layer on the outer steak produce a desirable umami flavor. The flipping process turn down the heat from the steak outer layer quickly and it’s prevent the inside of the steak get overcooked while the outer layer got properly seared. The meat is totally juicy as i expected because the seared outer layer seal the juice inside the meat. I’ve try the insanely expensive dry aged beef for my Dry Aged Black Angus Striploin Steak with Spicy Balsamic Vinegar and Shallots Jam Recipe, and i guess this Heston’s blumenthal of home friendly fridge dry aging beef works pretty good too since the beef steak got almost the same beefy flavoursome with the pricey 30 days dry aged beef. I wonder my next project is about blind tasting of comercialized dry anged steak vs Heston’s dry aging method, i hope one of my sisters will be the sponsors, lol
Creamy mushrooms sauce was the perfectly accompanion for my perfectly seared ribeye steak with Heston’s method. I’m using japanese shimeji mushrooms or Brown Beech Mushroom for this recipe, but you can use any kind of mushrooms that you’re like. I recommended button mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms for making steak sauce. I also served the steak with deep fried sweet potato that i cook according to my Spicy Seasoned Deep Fried Cassava or Yuca Root and some Homemade Roasted Garlic Bulb. Instead of creamy mushrooms sauce, you can choose any kind of my favourite selection of sauces for steak; Italian Spicy Tomato & Basil Sauce, Creamy Bechamel Sauce, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Roasted Pepper Sauce, Creamy Green Peppercorn Sauce, Reduced Red Wine Demi Glace Sauce, Italian Salsa Verde Sauce or Roasted Garlic Sauce
Perfectly Seared Beef Steak Recipe with Heston’s Blumenthal Method:
- 2 @ 200 gr beef steak (i’m using Kobe-style USA wagyu ribeye)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- seasalt and freshly grounded black peppercorn
How to Perfectly Seared Beef Steak Recipe with Heston’s Blumenthal Method:
- Unwrap your beef steak and pat dry, put it above wire rack in the middle of your fridge rack and let it undisturbed for 2 days
- Take the steaks out of the fridge for a couple of hours and reach the room temperature
- Rub all the wagyu topside steak with salt and black peppercorn and make sure it coated evenly
- Heat up your skillet until as hot as it could be
- Set your stopwatch to countdoen the time
- Just before searing, pour the olive oil and melted butter to the pan
- Put the kobe wagyu steak to the pan and cook it for 15 seconds.
- Flip the steak over and over again every 15 seconds until it’s got a nice charred and crusted surface for about totally 2 minutes
- Check the wagyu beef steak doness (medium rare is preferred) with meat thermometer and slet it rest for at least 5 minutes
- Served the perfectly seared kobe wagyu ribeye steak with the creamy mushrooms sauce
Creamy Mushrooms Sauce Recipe :
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g shimeji mushrooms (button mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms would be lovely too)
- 150 ml heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic*optional
- 1 tbsp chopped onion*optional
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots*optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
How To Make Creamy Mushrooms Sauce Recipe
- Heat oil and butter a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and shalots and cook for about 1 minute until the mixture fragrant but not browned
- Add sliced mushrooms and stir-fry until they are lightly browned, reduce heat to medium.
- Add cream, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the sauce has reduced by half
- Remove from heat and serve over your favourite Perfectly seared Kobe-style ribeye steak.
You May Also Like (Click!)