Resep Angsio Kerang Abalone: Resep Khas Imlek!
Braised Abalone in Superior Stock and Oyster Sauce
Braised abalone in Superior Stock and Premium Oyster Sauce Abalone, one of the most prestigeous proteins as food ingredient in the world. Abalone also called ear-shellfish , kerang mata tujuh in Indonesia, perlemoen in South Africa, and pāua in New Zealand and bao yu in China. Abalone had an donkey ear shaped shell with four, five or seven holes for breath and reproduction. The meat of this shellfish is thought to be delicious in some parts of Latin America , South East Asia, and East Asia (especially in China, Japan, and Korea). The abalone shells are used as accessorise as a jewelery or even become a pearl mother implant in pearl industry. Haliotis asinina or ass’s-ear abalone is common species that found in eastern Indonesia archipelago. This species is rather small compares another abalone species, the maximum lenght of the shell is about 10-15 cm. Locals fisherman mostly catch the abalone and deliver it directly to an seafood exportir company. I can said that fresh or even dried abalone that literary comes from indonesia is rarely seen in the local or chinese town market. Those pricey stuffs is actually prepared to be exported to Japan, Korea or China. The abalone is cleaned, boiled with salt and then removed from the shell trimmed from the innard. Some company like so smoked it prior to final dehydration with sun or oven drier. The funny thing is i can get this prescious abalone as a “gift”(read: intensly begging and pushing to bring it for me) from my friend that comes from a vacation in Hong Kong, while the dried abalone itself actually product of Indonesia, what a shame!
Braised Abalone with Superior Stock: Recipe for Chinese New Year
Making braised abalone in premium superior stock and oyster sauce is not that hard to prepare, first you must purchased the abalone. Abalone available in live, fresh, frozen, canned and dried form. Live and fresh abalone usually serve as sashimi, simply dipping in soy sauce and wasabi and accompanie with sake or rice wine. Frozen and canned abalone usually prepared in steamed, stir fried or grilled. Timing is the key of cooking the abalone, just like any other seafood. Overcooking fresh abalone make the muscle became though, dried and very rubbery. Dried abalone trusted to preserved and concentrate the flavour. Dried abalone must be rehydrate with soaking in water first, then simmered for hours to break down the protein. Perfect cooked dried abalone should have a consistency when you touch a tip of your nose, but i prefer to gently touch my pointing /index fingertip with my thumb fingertip, then gently with another hand fingertip, feel the consistency of fleshy area between your thumb and the base of the your palm.
Dried ABALONE : Good cooking preparation will turn out great meals !
When i hold the dried abalone in my hand, i just take a picture and my first though was genitalia femina externa anatomy. Then when my grandma seen the dried abalone for the first time, she said ” what is that??? it’s looks like a vagina!!!“. Well, my grandma just saved me from such a shame and guilty situation. LoL
Angsio Abalone / Resep Kerang Mata Tujuh
Braised Abalone or Angsio Kerang Mata Tujuh in Bahasa is a popular dish in Chinese descent and most asian people. The abalone muscle or meat considered a delicacy in Southeast Asia, and East Asia (especially in China, Japan, and Korea). In chinese descent culinary, abalone is one of luxury items that served at least once a year for celebrate wealth during Chinese New Year. Fancy and special celebration like wedding are common occation for abalone dish. Since it pricey, i will paired the abalone with superior stock/ broth that made of beef bone marrow, malay/kampung chicken, and mushrooms.
Braised Abalone Recipe :
- 250 gr dried abalone
- 1/2 pack enoki mushrooms
- 1 pack baby bok choy/chinese chard, blanched
- 1 small broccoli, blanched
- 5 small dried hioko mushroom
- 1 1/2 tbsp premium oyster sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch, dissolved with 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ang ciu/rice cooking wine
Superior Stock Recipe:
- 250 gr beef bone with marrow
- 500 gr kampung/ malay chicken
- 6 small size dried scalllop
- 2 slices chinese ham*optional
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 carrot, roughly cut
- 1/2 tomato, deseeded
- 2 celery stalk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups water
How to Rehydrate Dried Abalone :
- Soak dried abalone in water until soften , put it in your fridge and change the water daily.( Soaking abalone process time is depending on your abalone size, 20=30 gram Abalone takes about 2-3 days)
- Brush all dirt from the abalome, discard the head part(with tentacle)
- Boil with water, salt, ginger and rice cooking wine for about 15 minutes, drained well and ready for next cookinh process.
How to Make Superior Stock:
- Bring water to boil, add all ingredient and the dried hioko mushrooms and let it boil agail
- Simmer with your lowest flame for about 4-6 hours until the stock is reduced into 2 cups
- Save the hioko mushroom and strain the stock with fine mesh cheese cloth
- Chilled overnight, discard the fat layer in the top surface
How to Cook Braised Dried Abalone in Superior Stock :
- Put the rehydrate abalone and the superior stock in a heavy bottom sauce pan
- Add 6 cups water, rice wine and oyster sauce, bring to boil
- Simmer with your lowest flame for about 6-10 hours until the stock is reduced
- Nearly done, add the hioko and enoki mushrooms
- Thicken the gravy with dissolve corn starch and add the sesame oil for last touch
- Plate the braised abalone, bok choy and broccoli in your serving plate
- Voila your fancy braised dried abalone is ready to serve in your special celebration!
You May Also Like :