Tomahawk Steak anybodies ??? This huge cut of beef may not sounds familiar for you! yes, me too! Tomahawk steak is actualy a bone-in rib steak with the entire rib bone intact. The long ribs bone is usually frenched (trimmed from meat and fat) for elegant presentation purpose. Contrary to the regular tomahawk steak cut, i prefer to let the ribs bone meat still intact because it’s actually tasty part. The term of tomahawk steak simply because of its resemblance to a Tomahawk or large destroyer missile. Tomahawk steak weight usually depends on how big is the cow because the thickness of the steak depends on wideness of the ribs bone. My unfrenched tomahawk steak weighted almost 2.2 pounds, this gigantic piece of steak could feed for 3-4 people.
Tomahawk steak are tasty and tender piece of steak because it’s mostly composed of the longissimus dorsi, complexus and spinalis muscles which a lazy musscle. Those musscles did not support much of the cow’s weight, nor did it had to work hard or exercise. Its marbling of fat makes this very good for slow roasting and it also goes well on a grill cooked to any degree. Since rainy days in Palembang lately, i choose to pan seared it and roasted in hight heat to cooked it into medium well done. Due to the large size and also the long rib bone of the tomahawk steak, i suggest to seared it in a flat cast iron pan, if you don’t have any of it, simply use your wok pan! but you should make sure all surface was perfectly seared before roasted if you don’t want to get a dried out steak. That’s why i seared the gigantic tomahawk steak partially in the edge side of the wokpan . After that, i roasted it in 200°C with preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes.
For serving the tomahawk steak, i choose salsa verde or Italian green sauce (Spanish called this salsa verde too!). Basically, salsa verde consist parsley, lemon zest, vinegar, capers, garlic, onion, and olive oil. Instead of using lemon zest, i use kaffir lime leaves for giving an asian flavour burst to the salsa verde sauce. Beside parsley, i add a little bit of cilantro or flat leaves parsley and lemon basil leaves or daun kemangi to make it fragrant and refreshing even more. I also mixed the salsa verde with rice for the carbs, my oldest sister said it’s a little bit weird for it’s oily texture, but i still preety like it though.
Roasted Tomahawk Steak (Bone-in Rib Eye) Recipe:
- Tomahawk Steak (about 2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp coarsed seasalt
- 2 Tbsp freshly grounded black peppercorn
How to Make Roasted Tomahawk Steak:
- Preheat oven at 200°C with lower and upper fire
- Rub all the tomahawk steak with salt and blackpeppercorn evenly and make sure it coated evenly
- Just before pan searing, pour the olive oil and melted butter to the tomahawk steak
- Heat up the cast iron pan and sear the steak all over the surface until got a nice golden brown crusted surface
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil to the roasting pan, roast the steak for about 15-20 minutes, depends on your doness preference
- Serve with salsa verde and Balsamic Reduction
Salsa Verde (Sauce) Recipe :
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup daun kemangi or lemon basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- a pinch of kaffir lime zest
- sea salt
How to Make Salsa Verde (Sauce) Recipe :
- Place all ingredients (except the olive oil and lemon juice) in a food processor
- Process it until finely chopped
- With the motor running, add oil and lemon juice to salsa verde mixture.
- Process until well combined. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve with Tomahawk Steak