Steamed tiger grouper or garoupa is one of most popular menu on chinese seafood restaurant. Tiger grouper/ garoupa, Kerapu Macan, Lapu-lapu or 棕点石斑鱼 (Mycteroperca tigris) is a species of fish in the Serranidae family. This grouper has a tapered body, often reddish, with vertical stripes on its sides. It also may have, darker, dusky lines on the sides of its body. Young individuals have a yellow colour. Live tiger grouper fish is commonly displayed swimming freely in a glass aquarium in front of the restaurant, then the customers can easily pick one to cooked it right away.
Steamed Tiger Grouper with Chinese Black Bean Sauce and Egg Tofu called Ikan Malas Tim Tahu Tausi in Bahasa. It’s a popular dish in chinese descent community. The fermented black bean sauce basic recipe is similiar with my Steamed Sea Scallop with Black Bean Sauce and Steamed Crab in Lotus Leaf with Chinese Black Bean Sauce. The ingredients of black bean sauce for steaming this crab is fermented black bean paste, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, ginger, salt and pepper use for the sauce. All the spice paste ingredients processed into a fine paste then chopped chili added to give a nice hot kicking flavour. Besides, you can enrich the flavour the black bean paste with dried shrimp, dried scallop and other savoury and umami dried seafood ingredients. Watch over the saltiness level of the black bean paste since it could be very salty and it’s not necessary to add any salt anymore. This black bean recipe is suits as a dressing for rice porridge, steamed eeg, tofu, or even aubergines. Black bean sauce is actually made of salted and fermented black bean called douci, tausi or tauco hitam in Bahasa. Black bean paste is ready to use, it’s available in a glass jar on most asian groceries in your town, my recommended favourite fermented black bean paste is Lee Kum Kee Brand.
Steaming live grouper fish is one of the best way to cook it since steaming can preserved the natural sweetness and the texture of the succulent meat of it. I need some healty dietary option either since i got some cholesterol issues. Slightly brave seasoning would enhance the natural smooth and succulent meat, Today i cook the fish with chinese black bean and add some deep fried egg tofu as a side. Becareful not to overcooked or overseasone the fish, it would destroy the whole dish.
Steamed Tiger Grouper Fish Chinese Black Bean Sauce Recipe :
- 1 tiger grouper/garoupa, kerapu macan, about 700 gr, cleaned, buterflied from the bottom
- Marinade : 1 tbsp lemon juice + 1 tbsp chopped ginger+ 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 eye bird chili, halved
- 1 pack egg tofu, sliced, deep fried until golden brown, set aside
- 1 tbs of fermented black bean sauce
- 1 lemongrass, use onlt the soft white part, thinly slice
- 1 tbs of rock sugar
- 2 tbs of premium light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of angciu /Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cm knob of ginger, finely chopped
- Garnish: spring onion, Julienned, soaked in ice water until it become to curl.
- Rub the fish lighly with marinade, set aside
- Saute ginger, garlic, chilies and the rest ingredient until fragrant, set aside
- Put the fish in steaming pyrex bowl, steam the fish about 2 minutes until half done, discard the liquid
- Add the tofu and the sauteed mixture.
- Steam the bowl in your highest fire for about 5 minutes
- Put the fish in a serving plate, garnish with spring onion
You May Also Like :
- Garlic n Ginger Paste Steamed Marble Goby a.k.a Soon Hock Fish( ikan malas tim bawang putih dan jahe)
- Steamed Marble Goby Fish a.k.a Soon Hock Fish in Teow Cheow Style (ikan malas tim tio ciu)
- Resep Ayam Kampung Tim Tahu & Jamur Tausi (Steamed Chicken with Fermented Black Bean & Mushroom)
- Chinese Silver Pomfret: Steamed with Preserve Black Bean (Tausi) and 3 kinds mushrooms
- Resep Ikan Gurame Tim/ Steam Hongkong ala Dentist Chef
- Resep ikan kerapu malas steam asam pedas khas thailand ala dentist chef