Braised Lamb Shank with Tomato and Chillies, served with Carrot Purée and Basil Oil. Shank is the lower section of the animal’s leg, and it’s extremely tough and full of connective tissue. (Note also that lamb has a foreshank and a hindshank, which come from the foresaddle and hindsaddle, respectively.) A meat shank or shin is the portion of meat around the tibia of the animal, the leg bone beneath the knee.The lamb shank is the source of a particularly succulent dish, braised lamb shanks, lamb shanks are often braised whole. Lamb shanks can also be prepared in a crockpot.
Braised Lamb Shank with Tomato and Chilli Recipe is easy recipe, all the matter is time effort. Braising (from the French “braiser”) is a combination cooking method using both moist and dry heat; typically the food is first seared at a high temperature and then finished in a covered pot with a variable amount of liquid, resulting in a particular flavor.Most braises follow the same basic steps. The food to be braised (meat, poultry, but also vegetables or mushrooms) is first seared to brown its surface and enhance its flavor (through a process known as the Maillard reaction). If the food will not produce enough liquid of its own, a small amount of cooking liquid that often includes an acidic element, such as tomatoes, beer, or wine, is added to the pot, often with stock. Classically a braise is done with a relatively whole cut of meat, and the braising liquid will cover 2/3 of the product. The dish is cooked covered at a very low simmer until the meat is fork tender. Often the cooking liquid is finished to create a sauce or gravy.
simply fall off the bone ! thats the braising all about…
Braised Lamb Shank with Tomato and Chillies, served with Carrot Purée and Basil Oil
Braised Lamb Shank Recipe :
- 500 gr lamb shank
- 3 ripe tomatoes, deseeded, finely chopped or you can use 1 cup sun dried tomato
- 4 tbsp tomato pasta
- a pinch of saffron,
- 2 tbsp red cayenne pepper powder* you can use more
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, deveined
- 1 cups stock
- 1 cup white wine or rice wine
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
Lamb shank marinade :
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp HOMEMADE GARAM MASALA SPICE MIXTURE
- a pinch o rosemarry, thyme and black peppercorn
Spice Paste :
- 3 shallot
- 6 garlic
- 4 cm ginger
- salt to taste
Carrot Purée recipe :
- 2 medium carrot , roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- teaspoon unsalted butter
Basil oil recipe :
- 1 cup basil oil
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
How to make carrot purée:
- Simmer carrots, garlic, broth, and salt in a heavy saucepan, covered, until carrots are very tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Purée mixture with cream and butter in a food processor until smooth.
- Rinse and drain thai basil leaves. Pat leaves dry with a towel.
- In a blender or food processor, combine basil leaves and olive or vegetable oil . Whirl just until leaves are finely chopped (do not purée).
- Pour mixture into a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium heat and add the salt. Stir occasionally until oil NEARLY bubble around pan
- Remove from heat and let stand until cool, about 1 hour.
- Line a fine wire strainer with two layers of cheesecloth and set over a small bowl.
- Pour oil mixture into strainer. After oil passes through, gently press basil to release remaining oil.
- Discard basil. Serve oil or cover airtight and store in the refrigerator up to 3 months.
- The olive oil may solidify slightly when chilled, but it will quickly liquefy when it comes back to room temperature.
How to make braised lamb shank with tomato, chili and wine :
- Season the lamb shank with marinade ingredien, marinade overnight in the fridge.
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil until sizzling hot, sear the lamb shank al over, make sure all surface are throughly seared. set aside
- Heat up the 2 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan, saute the spice paste with a low heat until the spice is throughly cooked. Visual aspect is the key! the oil is slowly separated and formed in the edge when it throughly cooked.
- Add tomato, tomato pasta, saffron, cayenne pepper powder, paprika powder and the seared lamb shank. Stir another minute.
- Pour the white wine and stock ,bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the curry broth is thicken about 1-2 hours.
You may also like :