Homemade Smoked Beef Bacon Recipe From Scratch. Smoked meat is a method of preparing red meat (and fish) which originates in prehistory. Its purpose is to preserve these protein-rich foods, which would otherwise spoil quickly, for long periods. There are two mechanisms for this preservation: dehydration and the antibacterial properties of absorbed smoke. In modern days, the enhanced flavor of smoked foods makes them a delicacy in many cultures.
DIY Beef Bacon or Homemade Smoked Beef Bacon From Scratch Recipe. Smoking is the process of flavoring, cooking, or preserving food by exposing it to the smoke from burning or smoldering plant materials, most often wood. Meats and fish are the most common smoked foods, though cheeses, vegetables, and ingredients used to make beverages such as whisky,smoked beer, and lapsang souchong tea are also smoked.
In Europe, alder is the traditional smoking wood, but oak is more often used now, and beech to a lesser extent. In North America, hickory, mesquite, oak, pecan, alder, maple, and fruit-tree woods, such as apple, cherry, and plum, are commonly used for smoking. Other fuels besides wood can also be employed, sometimes with the addition of flavoring ingredients. Chinese tea-smoking uses a mixture of uncooked rice, sugar, and tea, heated at the base of a wok. Some North American ham and bacon makers smoke their products over burning corncobs. Peat is burned to dry and smoke the barley malt used to make whisky and some beers. In New Zealand, sawdust from the native manuka (tea tree) is commonly used for hot smoking fish.In Indonesia, the traditional smoked beef or pork is called Sei Daging or smoked meat in Bahasa Indonesia. Sei is popular dih in Kupang,East Nusa Tenggara Island. Another smoking dish that popular among Melayu community is smoked catfish or ikan salai lele. The smoked catfish is cooked in red curry or in a hot and sour based soup called pindang salai.
Homemade Smoked Beef Bacon From Scratch Recipe:
- 1 kg daging sapi/beef (i don’t know which part i use actually, it’s from traditional market)
- heavy duty alumunium foil( the thick ones)
Homemade Curing Smoked Beef Recipe:
- 1 tsp *sendawa/ salt peter/ curing salt
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 nutmeg
- 1 tsp whole green cardamon
- 1 tsp rosemarry
- 1 tsp blackpeppercorn
- 1/2 tsp caraway
- process into a fine powder
How to Make Smoked Beef Bacon from Scratch:
- Mix the beef with the curing ingredient, let it rest in fridge for about 7 days and add more ingredient if necessary, flip over once a day.
- At day 7, remove the curing ingredient by washing in running water, drained well, the meat should be firmer.
- Add more freshly ground black peppercorn and tied up the meat with saw filament
- Put into freezer and let it rest to half frozen
- Put a layer or two of aluminum foil on the bottom of your sauce pot, large pot or rectangular baking pan.
- Scatter she woodchips or sawdust, springkle with a little water
- Take a wire rack and put it at least 2 inches above the sawdust. If the wire rack does not sit high enough above the sawdust when resting on the edges of the pan or wok, you can raise it by placing wadded up aluminum foil under the legs of the wire rack.
- Set the stove to the highest setting until the smoke begin to release
- Put the half frozen curing beef in the center of the wire rack.
- Cover the wire rack, meat and pan snuggly with either a lid or more aluminum foil.
- If you are using a lid, you can line it with aluminum foil as well to make the clean up easier. I use the bottom side of heavy bottom wokpan with some water to make the temperature lower
- Turn the heat low . Cook until meat is done.
You may Also Like :
You May Also Like (Cick!)