Pink Peppercorn Crusted Wagyu Ribeye Steak is one of the best premium beef dish i’ve ever taste. Ribeye steak is not as tender as tenderloin, even the wagyu grade ones, but it’s more beeffy and flavoursome than tenderloin steak, beside the price of ribeye is cheaper than tenderloin too. I guess i know that my favourite steak is ribeye now. Internet search driven me to agree on an article of Seriouseats that said the rib cap (the tiny layer of meat surround the eye meat) it’s the tastiest steak cut ever. The crusted crushed pink peppercorn or sometimes called peruvian pepper on the wagyu steak gives a tentative fruity and yet mild spicy, recomended rubs spice for mild flavour beef steak, chicken or fish.
I’m using Tokusen wagyu ribeye with grade 6-7 marbling point for making this recipe. Tokusen Wagyu Beef is produced from imported Australian bred Wagyu cattle. Tokusen Wagyu Beef is the first Wagyu beef product that is produced and processed from an Indonesian feedlot and abattoir. Wagyu beef is intensely marbled with softer fat, has higher percentages of monounsaturated fats, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and is lower in cholesterol than commodity beef. The combinations of these fats deliver a distinctive rich and tender flavor compared to other beef. Wagyu ribeye is much more tender than black angus ribeye for my Grilled Angus Ribeye Beef Steak with Jerussalem Artichoke, Radicchio, Tofu and Tarragon Vinnaigrette Salad, but the flavour is much more milder. I purchased this wagyu ribeye at Food Mart Gourmet Supermarket Palembang Icon Mall for about 49 US$ for a single kilo and i’m spending almost 27 US$ for 2 pieces wagyu ribeye weighed about 250 gr for each of it.
This wagyu ribeye steak recipe contains three kind of pepper, pink peppercorn (Schinus molle), green peppercorn and green cayenne pepper. Pink peppercornused for rubbing the wagyu ribeye steak, the green peppecorn (pickled) for flavoured the creamy sauce and the green cayenne pepper for dressing the mashed potato. Actually, pink peppercorn is not a true peppercorns (genus Piper), but are the ripe berries of the Brazilian pepper tree. Both pink and green pepeprcorn got a fruity flavour, but the green ones got more acidic and tangy aftertaste while the pink peppercorn got a slighly sweet aftertaste. You can use both if them for flavoured steak, fish, or salad, even i add my pink pepeprcorn for flavoured Butter Poached Lobster with Fennel & Herbs
The kicking spicy green chilli or cayenne pepper oil is a nice touch for the mild savoury taste of the wagyu ribeye steak and mashed potato. The basic recipe for green chilli oil is using fresh deseeded green chilies or unripe cayenne pepper, garlic, shallots and good quality oil. Some people like to add pureed green tomatoes or unripe tomatoes to give some refreshing tangy after taste. The green chilli oil recipe is similiar with my Grilled Beef Ribs in Spicy Green Chilli Sauce, but you need to add much more oil to infused then.
Making wagyu ribeye steak is is a litle bit tricky. The steaks are about 2 1/2″ thick and quite marbled. The tentative plan is to seasoned it, let it come up to room temperature, then cook them on a very, very hot cast iron griddle or skiller. Basically, what how i cook this wagyu ribeye is simply generously seasoned and rubbed with salt and freshly crushed pink pepercorn, wrapped with cling plastic and let marinated for about 30 minutes prior to cooking then pan seared or grilled on a sizzling hot skillet, oven baked is several minutes and then served with the green peppercorn and cream sauce. The searing process sealed the meat liquid and keep the flesh moist even when you continue to cook the ribeye in the oven until you got your preference doness.
This Wagyu Ribeye Steak maybe the last post on 2013,
Happy New Year and See You on 2014!!!!
Wagyu Ribeye Steak with Pink Peppercorn Crusted Recipe:
- 2 @250 gr wagyu ribeye
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp coarsed seasalt
- 3 Tbsp freshly grounded pink peppercorn
How to Make Wagyu Ribeye Steak:
- Preheat oven on 350–375 °F (180–190 °C)
- Rub all the wagyu ribeye with salt and pink peppercorn evenly and make sure it coated evenly
- Wrap the seasoned wagyu ribeye with cling plastic and let it marinate for about 30 minutes
- Just before pan searing, pour the olive oil and melted butter to the seasoned wagyu ribye
- Heat up the cast iron pan and sear the wagyu ribeye steak all over the surface until got a nice brown crusted surface for about 2 minute each side
- Transfer the skillet into the oven and cook it until your preference doness, for medium rare it’s need only about 4-5 minutes and 8-10 minutes for well done
- Served the pink peppercorn crusted wagyu ribye with mashed potato, creamy green peppercorn sauce and green chilli oil.
Green Chilli Oil Recipe :
- 7 green chillies/cabe hijau, deseeded
- 1 Shallot/ Bawang merah
- 3 cloves Garlic/ Bawang putih
- 1/2 green tomato/tomat hijau
- white Peppercorn, salt and sugar for taste
- 1/2 cup Olive or Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup water
How to make Green Chili Oil :
- Grind all ingredient into a fine paste
- Heat 3 tbsp oil, saute 2-3 minutes until fragrance
- Add 1/2 cup water, let it boil and completely evaporated
- Add the remaining oil and season with salt, pepper and sugar
- Simmer about 10 minutes until the green chilli oil is done, you can strain and discard the green chilli mixture pulp, but i prefer not