Stir Fry Crab with Salted Egg Yolk and Cheese Sauce recipe is a fusion beetween salted egg crab sauce and cheese sauce crab. Somekind of east meet west on a single plate, since both salted egg yolk and cheese ingredients got a nice savoury hind and guess what, both can blended into a heavenly sauce. Salted egg yolk on this recipe is added to the sauce for stir frying it, not in the batter for deep frying like my previously Crispy Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab with Salted Egg Yolk Batter Recipe.
Salted egg yolk crab or kepiting saus telur asin in Bahasa is actually an easy dish recipe. The basic ingredients is about 2-3 egg yolk for every pound of crab, curry leaves, chopped garlic, salt and pepepr to taste. Some people like to add chopped chilli too within the salted egg yolk sauce. Th crab is usually coated with flour and then deep fried for about 2-3 minutes or until half done. In the other wok pan, the sauce ingredients is stif fried until bubly and fragrance and then the deep fried crab is tossed with high heat. Broth or water is added to the wok pan for the last touch, let it boiled to make the salted egg mixture flavour penetrated even better to the crab meat.
Cheese sauce crab is another quicky and easy seafood recipe. The basic ingrediens for the cheese sauce is butter, garlic, cheese, salt, pepper and some liquid to melted the cheese. Some people love to add bacon and cream too within the cheese sauce. The recomended cheese for the sauce is parmagianno-regianno, emmental, old ceddar or gouda cheese, but you can use any kind of cheese that suits for your licking. The following instruction for making cheese sauce crab is similiar with the salted egg sauce crab above. If you think cheese sauce crab is boring, i usually bring it to the next level of taste with infused some saffron on the sauce.
This salted egg yolk and cheese sauce crab is using a female mud crab with roe. Even the crab roe or egg is not as full as the crab that i’m using for my Thai Green Curry Crab (Hot and Spicy Green Chilli Curried Mud Crab with Lemon Basil Leaves). The meat of this crab is much more sweeter and flaky than the full egg; i learn my lesson; you can have all what you want in one crab. The crab seller told me it’s all the matter of choice, either the meat or the roe. Virgin female crab got the most sweeter and stringy meat and the meat quality is decreased over the amount of roe on it.
Crab plus salted egg and cheese is a dish that you should had only before you’ve got 30 years old. It’s too bad the that i had to tell you that the cholesterol and calories level is too damn high for elderly.Cost you more than 30 minutes on a treadmill for a single crab than. But, you can reduce the calories with either boiled or steamed the crab instead of deep fried it. Salted egg and curry leaves is the list you should had for the authentic version, i guess it’s available on asian groceries nearby your place. The salted egg yolk is available either raw or boiled, i suggest you to buy the raw and boiled for yourself because it’s much morore fresh then. If you can resist not tho eat the salted egg white, you can diced it and add it as a garnish like what i’ve done.
Stir Fry Crab with Salted Egg Yolk and Cheese Sauce Recipe:
- 1 medium size mud crab (i’m using 650 gr crab with roe)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 (or more) boiled salted egg yolk, mashed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 chilli or cayenne pepper
- a pinch of saffron #optional, soaked with warm water 10 minutes prior to cooking
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brush and clean the mud crab properly with running water to get rid the muddy aromas
- Season the lemon juice, salt and pepper. set aside
- Drain the liquid from the crab and deep fried it for about 2-3 minutes, set aside (you can either steam or boiled it)
- Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a wok pan and add the butter, let the butter completely melted
- Add the shallots, garlic, chilli, saute until fragrant and slightly browned
- Add the mashed salted egg yolk and curry leaves and let it bubbly and the curry leaves is crisp up a little bit
- Pour the broth, saffron and then add the cheese, let it boiled and then add the deep fried crab into the sauce pan
- Once the cheese is completely melted, season it with salt and peper, let it simmer for another 3 minutes
- Serve it immediately with steaming hot rice