Nasi bakar or literrary translated as grilled (burned) rice is an Indonesian rice dish which is sounds impossible to do without any wrapper. Traditionally, nasi bakar usually wrapped in banana leaf before grilled over arang batok kelapa or coconut shell charcoal. The wrapped nasi bakar mixture is secured with lidi or coconut leaf wooden stick, then finished by grilling until the banana leaf is browned and blistered. Eversince the nasi bakar mixture is throughly cooked, grilling prior serving mainly to enhanced the smoke flavour and to heat up the nasi bakar. The charred and toasted rice layer underneath the banana leaf was the best part of nasi bakar, similiar to socarrat of my Paella alla Valenciana, Spanish (Valencian) Paella with Chicken, Rabbit, Snail and Vegetables.
Nasi bakar derived from nasi timbel, a Sundanese descent (West Java) simple hot steamed rice that wrapped in banana leaf. Nasi bakar got a nice scent of banana leaf and also smoky flavour due to the prior grilling. Nasi bakar usually lightly seasoned with garlic, red shallots and some kencur or sand ginger that traditionally mortarred in cobek or shaved stoneware from basalt stone. Nasi bakar loaded with dry seafoods, meats and also coconut milk to give a savoury hint into it. Common stuffing for nasi bakar is ikan teri or dried anchovies, telur bebek asin or salted duck egg, ikan asin or salted fish, juhi or dried squid, chuncky sauteed and seasoned chicken, beef, tempeh, tofu or mushrooms. Nasi bakar parcels usually opened just before serving and topped with sambal terasi or shrimp paste chilli sauce.
Today i’m making nasi bakar using PUREGREEN Organic Red Rice to fulfilling Indonesian Food Blogger challenge #14:Olahan Beras (Rice Dish) IDFB. PUREGREEN Organic Rice is 100% grown without the use of chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. PUREGREEN organic rice subjected to test by SUCOFINDO Laboratory–Indonesia, Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture and Singaporean Agro Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) and proved as organic product without any sort of chemical pesticide residues. PUREGREEN organic rice brand provide the best and healtiest rice and packed in food grade package for the costumers since 2009.
Then why should we choose PUREGREEN Organic Rice ???
Simply because PUREGREEN Organic Rice got several superiority:
- Healtiest, you won’t your body fulfilled with any sort of chemical debris for sure
- Had a fine texture; soft, fluffy, moist with pleasant flavour and aromas
- The cooked red and black rice got a nice soft and fluffy texture, not hard, dry and chewy as other organic rice brand
- Provide many essential minarals and vitamins
- Low glisemic index and less calories
- Contain sufficient dietary fibers that suitable for lowering the cholesterol level
- Good choise for losen weight dietary program because the fibers fulfilled the stomach last loonger.
- Good dietary choice for diabetes, hyperuricemia, blood and cardiovascular problems patiens
- Rich of antioxidants agains cancer and degenerative issues
- Increased human immune system, especially for kids
- Not easily spoilaged
PUREGREEN Organic Rice brand got several variant; Pandan Fragrance Rice (Pandan Wangi), White Long Grain , Red Rice (Beras Merah), Mixed Rice (Beras Kombinasi), Brown Rice (Beras Cokelat), Black Rice (Beras Hitam), Black Combination Rice (Beras Hitam Kombinasi) and Multi Ethnic Rice. I already losen almost 26 pounds of my weight with a low calories and high dietary fiber diet using PUREGREEN Organic Red Rice for the last three months. PUREGREEN Organic Red Rice got surprisingly got convinient texture with soft and moist after cooked, not like other organic brand for diet which is tend to be dry and chewy. PUREGREEN Organic Red Rice save me from suffering starved throught out my diet, and this tasty red rice dish is the best choice for me to serving red rice, beside Nasi Goreng or Indonesian Fried Rice.
Resep Nasi Bakar Beras Merah Isi Jamur (Grilled Banana Leaf Wrapped Spiced Red Rice with Mushroom):
- 2 cups cooked PUREGREEN organic red rice, read the package instruction to cook it (200 gr nasi beras merah PUREGREEN matang)
- 1/5 cup coconut milk (50 ml santan encer )
- 1 cup fresh oyster mushrooms (100 gr jamur tiram segar)
- 1 spring onion, thinly slice (daun bawang)
- 2 salted eggs, diced (2 buah telur asin)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot (50 gr cincangan wortel)
- 1/2 cup meat floss (30 gr abon)
- 1 dry sausage, thinly sliced, can be replace with beef jerky or dendeng daging, thinly sliced
- 2 cayenne chilli pepper, thinly sliced (cabe merah)
- 1 large tomato, deseeded, diced (tomat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil for stir frying (minyak zaitun)
- salt and pepper to taste
- banana leaf for wrapping
- coconut leaf wooden stick (lidi) for securing the banana leaf parcell
Spice Paste (Bumbu Halus):
- 3 cloves garlic (bawang putih)
- 6 red shallots (bawang merah)
- 1 cm sand ginger (kencur)
- 1/4 tsp Homemade Garam Masala (bumbu kari bubuk)
- Heat up 1 tbsp olive oil in a wok pan, saute the spice paste until fragrance
- Add the sliced chilli ,oyster mushrooms and carrot, stir occationally
- Pour the coconut milk, bring to boil and season with salt and peper
- Add the cooked PUREGREEN organic red rice, stir occationally, lower the heat and cover the pan with lid until the liquid evaporated
- Add the salted egg, tomato, beef floss, dry sausage, and sping onion, mix it evenly, set aside
- Clean the banana leaf and exposed with flame to made it flexible and and workable, set aside
- Place a banana leaf with the shiny side up, Put 2/3 cup of red rice mixture in the middle of the leaf.
- Mold the red rice mixture, take the leaf edge closest to you and fold it over rice.
- Using both sets of fingers, tuck leaf edge under the rice and roll to enclose filling completely.
- Roll it as tightly as possible into a compact cylinder.
- With the seam-side down, smooth your fingers across the cylinder to gently flatten and fold both ends under to form a nice packet
- Secure both end with lidi or you can using staples for doing this, set aside
- Do this until all red rice mixture is wrapped in banana leaf
- Heat up the metal grill pan, grill the nasi bakar until the banana leaf is charred and browned
- Open the nasi bakar banana leaf parcell and served it with sambal terasi
- If you didn’t directly grilled the nasi bakar, you can steamed it first before grillling to make the inner part of nasi bakar is throughly heated
- If you had left over nasi bakar, wrap it in alumunium foil, it could last for about 3 days in the fridge, steamed it throughly before grilling and serving
- Nasi bakar parcell last for about 1 month in a freezer, thaw it completely and steamed it throughly before grilling and serving.