Resep Sate Buntel khas Solo dan Surakarta. Sate buntel derived from the Indonesian word sate (pronounced: satay); a grilled skewered meat dish, while buntel means wrapped bump or parcel. Sate Buntel or caul fat wrapped kebab is originally from Solo or Surakarta, Central Java, but it also commonly found in Yogyakarta. It’s made from minced beef or goat, the minced fatty meats are wrapped by thin fat or muscle membrane and wrapped around a bamboo skewer. Sate buntel is a seasoned fatty minced meat (usually beef, lamb or goat meat) wrapped in a lamb omentum or caul fat and wrapped surround a relatively large bamboo skewer. The appearance of the parcel is quite large and bumped in the middle, that’s why it’s called buntel. The most popular sate buntel was sold in Tambak Segaran, Solo. Sate buntel Tambak Segaran very special because the minced meat was very mild, tender and juicy because they use a 3-5 months old young goat or lamb, beside they quite generous with spices and this made the dish drolling worthy.
Resep sate buntel dengan sambal kecap manis. Sate buntel usually served with sambal kecap manis or hot and spicy Indonesian sweet soy sauce dip. After being grilled on charcoal, the skewer removed from sate buntel and then the meat is cut into bite-size chunks, then served with the sambal kecap manis. Several times i try sate buntel, the sweet soy sauce usually well seasoned too because, beside the obviously white peppercorn dust on it, i can taste the hint of nutmeg and cinnamon on it. Once i asked the seller he said that the kecap manis or sweet soy sauce was homemade with secret recipe. The sambal kecap manis usually consist of kecap manis, chopped chilli pepper, red shallots, onion and tomato, but if you like chopped nuts like cashew or peanut made it lovely even more.
Sate buntel or caul fat wrappped lamb kebab usually stuffed with lamb or goat meat from the belly and leg. Minced lamb or meat stuffing has to be fatty instead it will be tought and dry. The common ratio of fat and meat on burger, kebab, sheftalia or other processed meat is 1:5 or roughly about 20% of fat on it. Young sheep or goat (3-5 months old) is preferred for it’s mild flavour and also tender texture. I also add the trimming excess meat and soft tissue from making my homemade lamb pancetta that i’ll publish later on.
My sister insist to add some chicken leg meat on the to reduce the gamey flavour, even i told him that the spring lamb itself already got a mild gamey aromas, but you know; it’s kinda chick’s thing. I actually like my lamb tast like lamb, i’m not being offensive but if you want your lamb taste like chicken, why you purchase the lamb in the first place. Heavy spice usually added to seasoned the sate buntel, it’s a typically indonesian cuisine. Beside finelly chopped red shallots and garlic which is staple in all indonesian dishes, a lot of toasted and ground corriander, pepper and nutmeg. Authentic sate buntel filling usually manually minced with chopping knive, but i just too lazy do it, so then i let my chopper do the magic for me.
Caul Fat is the essential ingredients of sate buntel, caul fat is a transparent and natural thin membrane which surrounds the stomach internal organs of some animals, such as cows, sheep, and pigs, also known as the greater omentum. Caul fat also known as lace fat, mesentery, crépine or fat netting. You can ask the buther for it, he might give it for free actually. The sheep or lamb caul usually had huge chunks of fat in it and was very cumbersome, different from the semi-transparent, thin, lacy and beautiful pig or pork caul fat. Before using sheep or lamb caul fat, you can remove the big chunk of the fat by removing the thin membrane on one side and left the meaining thin membrane in the other side.
The size of this sate buntel is quite large, very similar to a middle eastern kebab. In greek, there’s a similiar caul fat sausages called called fegatelli (Italian), Sheftalia (Cypriot), faggots (English), or pâté or crépinette (French) . Al of that It is a type of crépinette; sausage that uses caul fat as a skin to hold the meat. The filling is made of ground pork or lamb shoulder or leg mixed with finely chopped onion and parsley, salt, and pepper and formed into small round balls. These balls are then placed on the spread caul fat and squares of caul fat are cut around them and wrapped, making little sausages which are put on two skewers. The caul fat sausage then grilled, preferably on charcoal until golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Resep Sate Buntel Kambing Khas Solo (Indonesian Skewered Minced Lamb Wrapped in Caul Fat :
Minced Lamb Kebab Filling:
- 300 gr Minced Lamb Meat (Daging kambing cincang)
- 200 gr Minced Chicken Meat (Daging kambing cincang)*optional
- 10 gr Minced Lamb Fat for Filling (Lemak Kambing cincang)
- 1 Large Lamb Caul/ Omentum (Lemak perut kambing)
- 10 Metal or bamboo skewer (Tusuk sate)
- 2 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap manis)
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Minced (Bawang putih cincang)
- 3 Red Shallots, Minced (bawang merah cincang)
- 1 Spiring Onion, Minced (Daun Bawang cincang)
- 1 Egg, Beaten ( Telur ayam, kocok)
- 1 tbsp Homemade Garam Masala Powder (Bubuk kari India)
- 1/2 tbsp corriander powder (Bubuk ketumbar)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (Minyak kelapa)
- 1 Lemongrass Stalk, soft white part, minced (Sereh cincang)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 (or more) Bird Eye Chili Pepper, thinly sliced (Cabe rawit, iris tipis)
- 6 Red Shallots, Thinly Sliced ( Bawang Merah, iris tipis)
- 2 Ripe Tomatoes, Diced (Tomat, potong dadu)
- 50 gr Toasted Peanut/ Cashew, Crushed (Kacang tanah/mede tumbuk)
- 6 tbsp Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis )
- 1/2 tsp Homemade Garam Masala Powder (Bubuk Kari India)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce (Kecap Asin)
- 1 Kaffir Lime Juice (Jeruk Purut)
- 1 tbsp White Peppercorn Powder (Bubuk Lada putih)
- Put the minced lamb and chicken and all of the sate buntel filling ingredients in a large glass bowl
- Mix all ingredients with your hand until well combined, set aside
- Lay a piece of caul fat on a chopping board. Roll a large cylindrical piece of filling mixture into an oval shape and place on a corner of the caul. Place the skewer in the middle of the filling.
- Use your hand, roll and tuck in with your fingers, the caul fat should cover the filling mixture completely and form a firm parcel. Cut the remaining caul fat
- Repeat the step above with the remaining sate buntel filling mixture.
- Wrapped the sate buntel parcell with alumunium foil*optional step
- Place the sate buntel over a shallow baking rack , pop it into the oven and let it roasted in 180 C for 30 minutes until throughly cooked, removed the alumunium foil wrapping
- Increase the temperature to 250 C and let it roasted for another 15 minutes until the caul fat charred and brown (nite the hell lot of the fat dripping)
- The sate bunte is ready to eat actually, but i gotta remove the extra fat on the caul b slicing the fat layer and then place it in over medium hot grill. Lightly springkle some salt on the caul fat , for about 10–15 minutes, or until browned and just cooked through. Do not use flames, and do not turn too often or too early as the fat will stick.
- Served with Sambal Kecap Cabe Rawit
How to Make Sambal Kecap Manis:
- Mix all ingredients and stirr well, except the white peppercorn powder
- Just before serving dust the white peppercorn powder over the sambal kecap manis