Recipe Turkey Confit in Herbs and Duck Fat, served with Mashed Celeriac or Celery Root. Confit (French) pronounced as “con-fee” is slow cooking method in French culinary. Confit contains various kinds of food that submerged in oil and then heated for a long period. Confit is one of the oldest ancient meat preserving method. The confit then sealed and stored in a cool place last and last for several months.Confit is whe best way to preserved a game birds, Duck Confit Recipe (confit de canard) and Goose Confit Recipe (confit d’oie) are usually used the leg part, the breast isn’t taste that good to be confit because it’s too stringy and had less fat and connective tissues to renderred. The turkey is salted and seasoned with herbs, and slowly cooked submerged in rendered fat, in which it is then preserved by allowing it to cool and storing it in the fat. Meat confits are a specialty of the southwest of France. I guess confit is one of the most popular French dish throughly worldwide.
Making turkey leg confit recipe with crispy skin, while the meat is still tender and succulent is actually quite tricky. You need to follow several steps, first the turkey leg is rubbed with salt, garlic, and sometimes herbs such as thyme, rosemarry and bayleaf then covered and refrigerated for up to 36 hours. Salt-curing the turkey meat acts as a preservative. Prior to cooking, the spices are rinsed from the meat, which is then patted dry. The meat is placed in a cooking dish deep enough to contain the meat and the rendered fat, and placed in an oven at a low temperature (76 – 135 C /170 – 275 ). The fat or oil should not be boiling into a large bubble, but gently little bubbles one at a time would be break the surface. The meat is slowly poached until cooked, or until meltingly tender, generally four to ten hours. The turkey confit then put into 220C oven and then roasted until charred and the fat dripping out from the turkey meat. You can simply seared the turkey leg confit as the commonly restaurant chef did too actually.
I found this turkey leg for making turkey confit in Ranch Market Supermarket Jakarta. Cost me about IDR999.000 (USD10) fer kg of it. I purchased 2 whole leg of turkey and it weighed about 1 kg. Turkey isn’t a common source of protein here in Indonesia, so i pretty damn lucky to spot those gigantic turkey leg. This is the second turkey recipe in my blog and i can’t wait to had another since i love turkey. I made Wine Braised Turkey Leg Recipe with Roasted Summer Vegetables before, then i think i should try to confit the turkey because i still saving the duck fat dripping from making Homemade Roasted Peking Duck with Chinese Pancake Recipe.
How does the turkeys meat taste like, well it almost like chicken but slighly gamey. properly cooked turkey like this turkey leg confit is delicious, i guess you pretty much as you appreciate chicken. Turkey leg is of course lots more bigger than chicken le, so i had to cut the whole turkey leg in three for individual portion. Turkey meat is more stringy than chicken and it’s totally tender and melt in the mouth once it cooked properly.
I prefer to served my turkey confit with mashed celeriac. Celeriac (Apium graveolens var. rapaceum), also called turnip celery,knob celery or simply celery root is a gourmet imported vegetables here in Indonesia. I found celery root in Kem Chick Supermarket for IDR177.000 (18USD) per kg, the price tag is definitely such a pain in the arse but i guess my adventurous culinary instinct win. Mashed celeriac is one of my favourite carbs now, definitely worth to try. If you like celery stalk, i guess you’ll diggin mashed celeriac too. To add some crunch, i served the turkey confit with Deep Fried Enoki Mushrooms Tempura.
Recipe Turkey Confit in Herbs and Duck Fat:
- 2 turkey legs, cut into pieces
- 4-6 cups duck fat ( I use 1 cup duck fat and 3 cups vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemarry
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper (plus 1 tbsp extra)
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1o garlic cloves, bruised (plus 2 tbsp)
How to Make Herbs Turkey Leg Confit :
- Pat dry the turkey leg then rub all ingredient to the turkey t=leg (except the oil), refrigerate for about 24 hours
- Discard any liquid that derived from the turkey meat and gently washed the salt mixture with warm water and don’t over do this steps of you’ll gonna get tasteless confit, pat dry
- Rub the turkey leg with another 1 tsp ground black pepper and 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- Put the turkey leg on the heavy bottom crock pot and pour the duck fat and vegetable oil until the turkey leg is totally submerged about 1 inch, then add the bruised garlic.
- Cook the mixture in a very low flame until a very gentle little bubble comes out, cook about 4-12 hour until the turkey leg meat is fallen off the bone
- Drain well, and you can save this in a fridge for up to 6 month with the meat totally submerge in the oil.
- Just before serving, pan fry or simply roasted the duck confit until crisp up.
- Serve the turkey leg confit with mashed celeriac or celery.
Mashed Celeriac Recipe:
- 1 medium size (about 500g) celeriac, trimmed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 3 large potatoes (about 500 gr), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Homemade Garam Masala powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup cooking cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- water to boil the potato and celeriac
How to Make Mashed Celeriac:
- Place the potato, celeriac and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring it to the boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium-low
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the celeriac and potato fork tender, drain and return to the pan
- Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Add the cream, butter and garam masala, and mash until combined
- Taste and season with salt and white pepper and garnished with basil leaves
You May Also Like(Click!)