Homemade Bratwurst Sausage Recipe. Bratwurst is a Bavarian/Germany sausage made of ground pork and-or beef (veal). Bratwurst is derived from German Brätwurst, from brät-, means ground meat and Wurst means sausage. Bratwurst is usually grilled or pan fried, and sometimes cooked in broth or beer, but this time i like to braised my homemade bratwurst with sweet and spicy aged balsamic vinegar.
Making my homemade bratwurst sausage in my very humble amateur kitchen is one of my obsession. Eversince i start making Lap Cheoung Air Dry Cured Chinese Sausage, i was curious about homemade fresh sausage. Store brought bratwurst sausage may contain tons of preservatives, color dying agent, and msg (monosodium glutamat) or other flavour enhanced agents. The ratio beetween the emat and filler content is incredibly low, trust mea you won’t eat it if you know what it made of. I didn’t added any msg on my homemade bratwurst, instead i’m using palm sugar to enhance umami balance flavour with the salt, simply magic as what happen to salted caramel.
How to make bratwurst sausage without fancy sausage maker is another question, eversince i din’t really want to investing pretty much $$$ for it, which mean i have to do is manually. Using my chopper or food processor is not a good option, because it’s too powerfull and can easily overdo the sausage stuffing grinding, beside the heat possibly melt the fat even i freeze it out priorly. So then i using my old school meat mincer knive and properly clean wood cutting board to finely diced the pork and beef meat and a regular knive to diced the pork back fat, freshly ground meat can made you life easier actually.
Before making your homemade bratwurst or other fresh sausage, you should know about the savety about handling the ingredients first. All the utensil must be clean and the meat ingredients must be kept cold (about 4°C) to ensure the meat in the prime condition. Improper prepared fresh bratwurst sausage can be derived to botulism, a serious, potentially fatal and lethaly disease. Botulism is an intoxication usually caused by ingestion of potent neurotoxins in contaminated foods. You should know first that the neurotoxin excrete by Clostridium botulinum bacteria. The neurotoxin destroyed by heating more than 85°C (185 °F) for more than 5 minutes, but the bacteria spores that are heat-resistant. The bacteria usually in a spores (inactive form) and usually germinate, grow and then excrete toxins in the low or absence of oxygen. So in my opinion the additional of nitrate (pink salt, salpetre etc) is absolutely important because it’s an effective agent agains Clostridium botulinum. Maybe you heard that nitrate are toxic, infact nitrosamines did. Nitrosamine formed when nitrate transform into nitrite then react with amino acids or very high heat. Nitrosamines are known to be powerful DNA damaging chemicals and resulting cell mutation and cancer. But don’t really bother about it, infact a single portion of spinach or celery contain more nitrosamines than you can imagine. So, did salpetre or curing salt it essensial for making fresh bratwurst ? it’s a tricky question, If you made a small quantity like mine and cooked it directly in a fresh state without any further dry aging process i guess it’s not really essensial.
I’m made my homemade bratwurst sausage with pork and beef meat, commercially bratwurst sausage using 20-30 percent of beef but i’m using 1:1 beef and pork ratio for my bratwurst sausage. The seasong for my homemade bratwurst sausage consist of marjoram, parsley, nutmeg, celery seed, ginger, mace, cardamon and splash with red wine. Most bratwurst sausage wrapped in an edible artificial casings, such as collagen and cellulose, but i really want the original version with natural pig intestine casing. Is it possible to making a dry cured sausage using natural pig intestine ? luckily the answer is YES. The pig small intestine is needed to be cured before the sausage hung to dry cured. The pig intestine cleaned inside out, you can read about How To Clean and Preparing Pig Intestine, then salted to enhanced the self life. Simply ask your butcher for pig small intestine, he or she probably give it for free for you.
I’m using plasting funnel to stuffed the bratwurst sausage stuffing into the pork intestine, just like my previously Homemade Lap Chong or Dry Cured Waxed Chinese Sausage. Clean hand fingers or even chopstick is much more effective and fungtional toplug the bratwurst sausage stuffing, just made sure you’re wearing a sterile gloves and sterilized chopstick otherwise it’s gonna be a mess. The end of the the pig intestine tie out after you finished stuffing to let the air released, slightly different with commonly people did because my plasting funnel tube didn’t long enought to be slipped with the intestine.
After you stuffed your homemade bratwurst sausage stuffing into your pork intestine, the stuffing a little bit slippery on the instenstine because so many air bubble on it. The stuffing can be plugged better with your hand too, just squeese the stuffing out with the intestine tube to the end, then divide the sausage link by twisting and then tiding it to made individual homemade fresh bratwurst sausage
How to braised bratwurst sausage with balsamic vinegar is the easy part. The homemade bratwurst sausage pan fried in a butter until the casing slightly charred, cut into bite pieces and then set aside. The balsamic vinegar infused with spicy caramelized onion, shallots and garlic and chilies. Brown sugar then added to made the balsamic vinegar reduction sweet and sticky and glazed the bratwurst sausage evenly. Just before serving the balsamic vinegar braised bratwurst sausage then garnished with chopped chilies and clery leaves.
Recipe Homemade Bratwurst Sausage with Pig Intestine Casing
Ingredients: (i’m using half of the recipe)
- 500 gr pork loin
- 500 gr beef topside
- 200 grams pork back fat
- 2-3 pig intestine, cleaned (2-3 m sausage casing)
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground blackpeppercorn
- 4 tbsp brown/palm sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 2 tbsp of fresh chopped herbs (marjoram, parsley &thyme)
- 1 tsp Homemade Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 tsp ground celery seed
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
How to Make Homemade Bratwurst Sausage :
- Clean out and sterilize all of the utensils
- Mix and rub the salt to the pig intestine, let is marinated about 24 hours in the fridge, washed it properly under running water and drain in properly, set aside
- Meanwhile, dice the beef and pork meat and fat with a knife into a very fine diced
- Combine all the seasoning in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the meat and fat and mix well
- Stuffed the bratwurst sausage stuffing to the pig intestine using the plastic funnel and chopsticks or finger.
- Tie off one end of bratwurst sausage casing and then plugged out the stuffing to the tie
- Tie the casing into 15cm links.
- Prick the links and the sausage all over with a sterilized metal pin to allow the air bubbles to escape from the sausage.
- You can directly cooked the fresh bratwurst or vaccum packed then freeze it, it last about 1 month in the frezzer
Braised Sausage in Balsamic Vinegar Recipe:
- 1 kg of bratwurst sausage (or any kind of fresh sausage)
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine/ anggur putih (sunstitude with 2 cups of rice wine)
- 3 large fresh ripe tomatoes/ Tomat, deseeded, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Homemade Garam Masala Powder
- a pinch of mixed italian herbs
- 2 tbsp chopped red chilies
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 small red shallots, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups stock/kaldu
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil/minyak
- salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped chili and celery leaves for garnish
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil until sizzling hot, sear the sausageall over until got a nice golden brown color, set aside and cut into bite pieces
- Heat up the 2 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan or a crock pot, saute the onion, red chilies, shallots and garlic with a low heat until slightly brown
- Add the tomato and saute another 5 minutes
- Put the bratwurst sausage into the pot
- Pour the balsamic vinegar, stock and white wine, season with salt,brown sugar, pepper and herbs,
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the balsamic vinegar is thicken for about 30 minutes. Add more wine or stock if necessary.
- Served it immediately with freshly chopped chilies and parsley leaves.
You May Also Like (Click!):