Roasted Chicken with Milk, Yogurt and Ricotta Cheese Custard with Herbs. Whole chicken butterflied then roasted with the skin side up until the skin is slighly browned and the meat is half cooked, laid in a pyrex caserole bowl then poured with a custard made of milk, yogurt and egg yolk, then crushed garlic, ricotta cheese and herbs scattered over the chicken and then baked for 45 minutes until the milk and yogurt curt browned and the chicken is completely cooked and tender.
The baked chicken in yogurt and milk custard is inspired by Jamie Oliver roasted chicken in milk which is really moist and taste damn delicious and comforting, but there’s a flaws about it. The skin side of the chicken that facing the milk mixture is soggy and there’s a separated curd and gravy once it cooked. So i adjust the recipe a little bit to make a little bit dry curd and add any ingredients that suits my licking.
The milk and yogurt curd mixture for the roasted chicken can be seasoned with any kind of your favourite herbs; rosemarry, thyme, sage, bayl eaves and a dash of cinnamon is just perfect for my licking, I also like some licorice flavour of dill weed and some star anise, it’s blend perfectly with the tangy creamy yogurt. Fresh herbs for this yogurt and milk custard baked chicken is preferred, but eversince it’s kinda hard to find this western kitchen ingredients, the dry herbs is working well too.
You can improved the yogurt and milk custard by adding some Homemade Fresh Pork Sausages or some Homemade Spicy Chorizo into it, even chopped precoooked veggies to made some real heavy one pot caserole roasted chicken sounds a good idea.
This recipe is awesome, you’ve got all the scrumptious things about roasted chicken; the skin is crispy and the meat is tender and succulent. The skin side of the chicken is exposed with the direct heat from the upper heater element of the oven while the meat side down is always contact the milk and yogurt mixture and allowed the flavour infused.
Ayam Panggang Yogurt dan Susu. Ayam ras utuh, dibelah dua pada bagian dada, dipanggang sampai kulitnya sedikit kecoklatan lalu dicampur dengan campuran yogurt, susu, kuning telur dan bumbu-bumbu. Kaserol ayam ini kemudian dipanggang dalam oven sampai ayam matang sempurna serta custard susu dan yogurt berwarna kecoklatan. Orang palembang bilang Lemak Nian !!!
This is the secret recipe to make a very crispy roasted chicken skin; blowing the skin off the meat, so the fat in between can rendered and make the skin crispy. First, you need to clean and wash throughly the chicken with running water, pat it really dry with paper towel before you inflated the skin. You can use your finger to separate the chicken skin from it’s meat but i had another option with greater result; using air pump!
Crispy chicken skin is made using a simple baloon pump or bicycle pump, insert the tips of the pump into the chicken skin through the neck skin, secure the neck skin to make sure there’s no air coming out and start to inflate the chicken skin with pumping air into it, you can help with massaging the skin to distribute the air and make sure all the skin inlated from the meat flip the chicken over and do the same in the chicken breast section. Yup it is that easy, i’ve try to use this technique for my Roasted Peking Duck and Herb Butter Roasted Chicken, and it’s skin turned out really crispy!!!
Right after the chciken skin inflated with pump throughly, i butterfly it from the breast side and then rubbed it with generous ammount of salt, pepper and crushed sage leaves. After the chicken skin inflated completely, you can butterfly or even spatchcock the chicken to make it easier to roast in the conventional oven. For this recipe, i need to pre-roasted the chicken before baked it with milk and yogurt curd, so i put the chicken over metal rack in a shallow baking pan and then roasted it with upper heat only to browned the sin a little bit. Remember, you don’t want to cooked the chicken, just need to rendered the skin fat a little bit to make it crispy.
After the chicken roasted until slighly browned with skin side up using only upper heat, the chicken laid with skin side up in a caserole pyrex glass. The gravy from the half cooked chicken colected and mixed with milk, yogurt and any other ingredients then poured on the side of the half cooked chicken to baste only the meat side of the chicken. The chicken caserole than baked until the curd is browned and completely set for about 45 minutes.
Now, you enjoy your fest of Roasted Chicken in Yogurt and Milk Curd with Ricotta Cheese & Herbs. My asian licking usually asking some steaming hot rice for this chicken, but you can enjoy this with freshly baked brioche or baguette bread, it’s up you.
- 1 medium size chicken
- 1 cup plain whole milk
- 1 cup plain all natural whole yogurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp Homemade Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black peppercorn
- 1/2 stick salted butter (60 gr), melted
- salt to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, bruised
- 6 pieces dry Sage leaves
- 2 Pieces extra Sage leaves, finely chopped for rubbing the chicken
- 4 pieces dry Bay Leaves
- 2 sprig of Thyme
- 2 sprig of Rosemarry
- 1 Spring of Dill Weed
- 100 gr Fresh Ricotta Cheese, crumbled
Tools: Baloon Pump for blowing or inflating the chicken skin
How to Make Crispy Skin Herbs Butter Roasted Chicken with Cilantro, Parsley, Mint and Dill:
- Clean and wash throughly the chicken with running water, pat dry, set aside
- Insert the tips of the baloon or bicycle pump into the chicken skin through the neck skin, secure the neck skin to make sure there’s no air coming out and start to inflate the chicken skin with pumping air into it, you can help with massaging the skin to distribute the air and make sure all the skin inlated from the meat.
- Flip the chicken over and do the same in the chicken breast section until all side of the chicken skin inflated from the meat
- Rubbed the chicken with salt, black peppercorn, garam masala and chopped sage leaves all over the surface, butterfly from the breast side (you can spatch cock is as well)
- I also apply some bamboo skewer to fix the chicken wings position
- Put the chicken in a shallow baking rack, baste the chicken skin with melted butter, put in the second rack of the oven in preheated 250°C (Only Upper Side Heat) for about 15 minutes until the skin is slighly browned and the meat is half cooked.
- In a glass bowl, mix the yogurt, milk, egg yolk, salt and pepper, and the remaining butter, set aside
- Once the chicken skin is browned, take it out from the oven and pour the gravy into the milk and yogurt bowl then transfer the chicken carefully into a pyrex caserole bowl.
- Pour the yogurt and milk mixture into the caserole and then scatter all the herbs, garlic, ricotta cheese.
- Pop the chicken in milk and yogurt into the oven and roasted it in 180°C for 30 minutes
- Increase the temperature to 225°C for about 15 minutes until the chicken skin skin got nice golden brown color
- Let the Roasted Chicken in Milk and Yogurt caserole rest for at least 5 minutes before carved and served.
You May Also Like (Click!)