Lobster Rendang Curry Recipe. Spinny lobster or tropical rock lobster pan grilled with spicy rendang sauce. Rendang or mostly known as rendang daging or beef rendang is typically Indonesian spicy beef curry that cooked slowly with constant gentle stirring for several hours until the spices got dark brown color when it well caramelized. Dentist Chef had ever post the Ultimate Beef Rendang Step by Step Recipe if you want to test the damn delicious CNN NO. 1 World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods’ list.
Lobster with the spicy rendang curry sauce, i want made it right so it simply means i need to made the spicy rendang sauce and the coconut cream caramelized and browned before the lobster tail meat overcooked and turned into unedible dried and tough.
Before we takling about rendang, i should acknowledge you that In Minangkabau culinary tradition, there are stages of Rendang spice doness. Rendang doness category is according to the liquid content in cooked coconut milk, ranges from the soupy most wet to the most dry: Gulai — Kalio — Rendang. The spices ingredients of gulai, kalio and rendang is almost identical with the exceptions that gulai usually uses less red chilli pepper and got more turmeric, while rendang uses more varieties of spices.
When you making rendang and you stop to cooked it right when the meat is done and the coconut milk has reached its boiling point, you have gulai. If the process continues well until the coconut milk is partly evaporated with brownish colored meats, then you have kalio. When the process continued hours more until the liquid completely evaporated and the color turns to dark brown almost black in color, then you have rendang. According to this notions, the real rendang is those with less liquid contents.
The colors also indicate of rendang spices doness; rendang is dark brown while gulai have light yellow color and kalio is brown, and However, today there are two kinds of rendangs commonly found: dried and wet. Dentist Chef Beef Rendang show the step by step pictorial of Indonesian rendang doness.
Making rendang lobster is kinda tricky; you need to USE THE HIGEST HEAT of your stove to fasten the caramelisation of the rendang curry sauce, USING NON STICKY SHALLOW & WIDE GRILLING PAN also made the evaporation of the liquid even better, using non sticky pan also help prevent the rendang spices sticked in the bottom and burned out because you using very high heat while cooking it. USING THICK COCONUT CREAM instead of thin coconut milk it’s a must if you want to make lobster rendang curry because too much liquid on the coconut milk made it boil instead of “fried” the spices and the spices need more time to caramelized, in the other hand the liquid vapour steam the lobster meat insde and made it tent to be overcooked even more. If you attemp to made prawn rendang, shrimp rendang or other seafood rendang this tips is also applied!
Now, let’s we begin to make LOBSTER RENDANG CURRY!!!
First you need to cut the lobster into two equal pieces and seasoned it with, lime juice, salt and white peppercorn. Heat up some oli in the shallow & wide grilling pan then sear the meat side down until it slighly chareed in the outside. Hear the nice sizzling sound of it when you sear the lobster meat.
Turn the lobster meat side up and then sear the shell side down for another 1 minutes. You should need a sizzling sound and you know you’re doing it right!
Pour the rendang curry spices, oven the lobster, basting the lobster with it then let the spices sauteed with the oil and completely evaporated with nice sizzling sound. Keep stirring the spices to let it cooked evenly.
Turn down the heat a little bit then pour the heavy coconut cream to the lobster and rendang spices. Keep stirred the rendang spices to let it distributed evenly and let the water evaporates even better. You will see the coconut cream made the rendang spices had whitish creamy color
The lobster rendang sauce color now slowly turned out darker when the coconut cream renderred into coconut oil and “fried” the spices once it evaporated. This process is the key of success of lobster rendang, when you see the cream rendered into oil, you need to turn the heat into medium unless you burned out the spices. Keep stirring and distributes the rendang sauce into the lobster meat and stop the cooking process once your lobster meat is perfectly cooked. Making lobster rendang is much more quickl only take about 15-20 minutes for medium size lobster (350-500grams) compare to beef rendang that takes 4 hours.
Lobster Rendang Recipe:
- 1 Medium Size Lobster (350-500 grams)
- 1 medium size lemon or lime, squeezed out the juice
- 200 ml thick coconut cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (minyak sayur)
Indonesian Rendang Spice Paste Recipe:
- 12 red shallots (bawang merah)
- 6 cloves garlic (bawang putih)
- 30 gr red chillies or cayenne pepper (cabe merah)
- 10 bird eye chilies
- 1/2 tsp HOMEMADE GARAM MASALA SPICE MIXTURE (bumbu rendang/ bubuk kari)
- 1 lemongrass (sereh), get the soft part in the middle
- 4 cm ginger (jahe)
- 3 cm galagal (laos)
- 2 cm turmeric (kunyit)
- 2 candlenuts (kemiri)
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1 cm cinnamon
- 2 cloves (cengkeh)
- 1 green cardamon (kapol/kapulaga hijau india)
- 1/4 tsp white pepeprcorn
- salt to taste
- 20 ml water
How to Make Indonesian Beef Rendang:
- Put all the rendang spice paste in a food processor, then process it until smooth, set aside
- Kill the lobster, clean, cut it in the middle into two equual part, pat it dry
- Season the lobster all over, with lime or lemon juice, salt and peper, set aside
- Heat up the oil in a in the shallow & wide grilling with high heat, pan then sear the lobster meat side down until it slighly charred in the outside.
- Flip the lobster shell side down and sear the shell side.
- Pour the rendang spice paste, then saute the spice paste with high heat until the spices is throughly cooked. Visual aspect is the key! the oil is slowly separated and formed in the edge.
- Keep stirring and basting the lobster with the rendang spice paste to let it evenly cooked
- Lower the heat into medium then pour the heavy coconut cream, stir it and let it boil and slightly evaporated
- Continue stirring the rendang mixture until the oil is separated or driven off from the mixture
- Keep basting the lobster meat with the rendang curry spices and let it caramelized evenly
- Continue stirring the rendang sapices and flipping the lobster until you’ve got rendang lobster with a nice caramelized dark brown color
- Keep doing this until the lobster meat is perfecty cooked, add more water if necessery to prevent the rendang spices burned out.
- Serve the lobster rendang with steaming hot rice