Filet mignon or filet de bœuf in France is a steak cut of beef from the smaller end of the tenderloin or medallion of psoas mayor muscle of the beef carcass, but it sometimes also refers to any cut from the whole tenderloin. The tenderloin is the most tender cut of beef and is also arguably the most desirable and therefore expensive cut. Eversince the filet mignon is only the smaller end tenderloin muscle that not weight-bearing and contains less connective tissue, which makes it probably the most tender cut parts of the tenderloin and weighin not more than 500 grams for every cattle, fillet mignon is the most expensive cut of beef.
I’m using Tokusen 8-9 marbling grade wagyu tenderloin for making this filet mignon, i guess it’s worth to be a little bit generous since this is just a perfect dish for a special occasions like romantic candle light dinner or christmas eve dinner. Tokusen Wagyu Beef is produced from imported Australian bred Wagyu cattle. Tokusen Wagyu Beef is the first Wagyu beef product that is produced and processed from an Indonesian feedlot and abattoir. Wagyu beef is intensely marbled with softer fat, has higher percentages of monounsaturated fats, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and is lower in cholesterol than commodity beef. The combinations of these fats deliver a distinctive rich and tender flavor compared to other beef. You can replace the wagyu tenderloin with regular cattle, veal or even venison loin.
Bacon wrapped filet mignon is a great way to preserved moist from the prescious steak. Store brought filet mignon usually already cut into 2 inch-thick portions. Bacon is often used in cooking filet mignon because of the low levels of fat found in the cut, as fillets have low levels of marbling, or intramuscular fat. Bacon is wrapped around the fillet and pinned closed with a wooden toothpick. This adds flavor and keeps the fillet from drying out during the cooking proces. Even i’m using wagyu breed, the butcher still suggest me to using bacon for wrapping it.
Filet mignon cooking method is a litle bit tricky, basically the the filet mignon tenderloin is generously seasoned, wrapped in bacon then pan fried or grilled and served with sauce. The basic technique for cooking filet mignon is quicky seared on each side of the tenderloin using intense heat and then transferred to a lower heat like oven to cook the meat all the way through. The searing process sealed the meat liquid and keep the flesh moist. Traditionally in European and American restaurants, fillets are most often served with red wine reduction demi glace sauce, a cognac cream sauce, or au poivre with peppercorns.
Filet mignon is often served rarer than other meats, my personal choice is medium rare. You may notice that my previously steaks recipe is well done simply because it’s my sisters preference. This filet mignon is oficially not my sister-sponsorship steak like my previous Dry Aged Black Angus Striploin Steak with Spicy Balsamic Vinegar and Shallots Jam, Tomahawk Steak Recipe (Bone-in Rib Eye) with Salsa Verde and Grilled Angus Ribeye Beef Steak. If you like the well done filet mignon steak, you could butterflied the tenderloin filet to expose it more to the heat during the cooking process.
Truffle mashed potato with black truffle oil is the best pairing for serving the filet mignon.I’m add some dill weed and chopped parsley and cilantro too to the the mashed potato. I’m not add any cream on it just like what i’m used to and replace it with the truffle oil and powdered parmesan cheese. For the sauce i choose reduce red wine demi glaze sauce, but i’m not using any roux on it. Beside, i add some slice plum and homemade cherry tomato confit to give tangy and refreshing flavour for balancing the creamy and savoury filet mignon and truffle mashed potato.
Merry Christmas, for all Dentist Chef readers!!!!!!
Filet Mignon with Wagyu Tenderloin Recipe :
- 2 @150 gr wagyu tenderloin (filet mignon)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp coarsed seasalt
- 2 Tbsp freshly grounded black peppercorn
- 2 pieces of bacon
How to Make Filet Mignon with Wagyu Tenderloin :
- Preheat oven on 350–375 °F (180–190 °C)
- Rub all the wagyu tenderloin with salt and black peppercorn evenly and make sure it coated evenly
- Wrapped the outer side of the filet mignon with bacon and secured it with some tiny toothpick
- Just before pan searing, pour the olive oil and melted butter to the wagyu tenderloin
- Heat up the cast iron pan and sear the steak all over the surface until got a nice brown crusted surface for about 1 minute each side
- Transfer the skillet into the oven and cook it until your preference doness, for medium rare it’s need only about 4-5 minutes and 8-10 minutes for well done
- Served the filet mignon with Truffle Mashed potato and Reduced Red Wine Demi Glaze Sauce
Red Wine Demi Glaze Sauce Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock (veal is preferred)
- 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground blackpeppercorn to taste
How to Make Red Wine Demi Glaze Sauce Recipe:
- Heat up and melt the butter in a previously skillet for cooking the filet mignon
- Saute the shallots and garlic, cook over moderate heat , stirring, until softened and browned for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the red wine, beef stock and bring to boil, season with salt, pepepr and brown sugar
- Simmer until the sauce thickened