Seared Hokkaido scallops recipe in herbs infused brown butter, then served with balsamic reduction that mixed with mushrooms infused light soy sauce. The scallops outside is charred and crusted with remaining tender and moist meat inside, the natural sweetness of Hokkaido scallops meat packed with nutty and fragrant herbs brown butter. The balsamic vinegar and mushrooms infused soy sauce reduction got a salty, sweet, tangy and mushroom umami flavour. Damn delicious fusion scallops dish!!!
Pan seared scallops with perfectly golden brown charred and crunchy outside, bounchy and juicy meat inside will tickle your taste buds. Make sure you’ve got a “dry scallop” instead the ”wet scallop” for this recipe. Scallops which threated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP) called “wet scallop” while the “dry scallops” didn’t. STPP causes the scallops to absorb moisture prior to the freezing process, thereby getting a better price per unit of weight. It’s easy to diffrenciate the “dry” and “wet” scallop, “dry scallop” is usually got whitish creamy translucent color, while the “wet scallop” is usually got whitish opaque color. Fresh scallops suit for every recipe, you can make Steamed Scallops with Garlic and Ginger Recipe, Steamed Sea Scallop with Black Bean Sauce and Served with Rice Glass Vermicelli, Roasted Garlic Pasta Spaghetti with Pan Seared Baby Scallop Recipe, or Baked Scallop with melted Cheese And Herbs (Scallop Morney) Recipe.
I’m using a Japanese Hokkaido scallops for this seared scallops recipe, the most popular pricey gourmet scallops from Hokkaido Island in northen Japan. The Hokkaido scallops is tender, sweet, and less stringy compare to USA scallops or Callo de Hatcha scallops that i dehydrated and use for making Chinese Dried Scallops or Conpoy Rice Porridge Recipe. I’m buying vaccum packed Hokkaido scallops with sashimi grade, which is ideal too for making scallops sashimi (raw sliced scallops). There are approximately 15 of these Japanese scallops in a 500 grams package, these Hokkaido scallops are the bigggest scallops i ever seen. I thawed the frozen scallops by put the package in fridge overnight asthe package instruction. Raw Hokkaido scallops got white creamy beige or light blonde color and all the scallops meats color become white when cooked.
Pan seared scallops with brown butter and herbs in this recipe got all savoury goodneess. The herbs infused brown butter for searing the Hokkaido scallops got nutty aromas with herbs burst of refreshing flavour. I love brown butter, no one could ever regret the brown butter in any dish, especially when it’s using for cooking seafood like my recently Roasted Spinny Lobster with Garlic Brown Butter Recipe. Making brown butter is a little bit tricky, you should know that brown butter made from regular butter that heated until the butter’s milk content solidified and browned, a little longer cooking made the brown butter turn into black burn butter. To making the herbs brown butter, cut up the butter into pieces and place in a heavy bottom skillet. Melt the butter on medium low heat and swirl it goodly, allow the butter to foam up and recede. Watch carefully. After a few minutes, the milk solids will form and sink to the bottom. Once the milk solids begin to turn brown caramel-colored, the butter will have a lovely nutty aroma and then you need to add herbs and olive oil to slow the cooking process a little bit and prevent the brown butter got burn. Add your patted dry Hokkaido to herbs brown butter sauce. To perfectly seared the scallops, do not overfilled the skillet to let some space beetween the scallops to let the steam escape. Flip the scallops once after the bottom side of the Hokkaido scallops turn brown and crusty, then let the other side browned too. You want the inside of your seared Hokkaido scallops medium rare when you remove it from the pan, the remaining heat continue to cooking it untill medium done.
I served my seared Hokkaido scallops with herbs brown butter with balsamic reduction sauce, but not a regular balsamic reduction. I add infused the balsamic reduction with flavour of caramelized onion and deglazed with mushooms light soy sauce. I found a small bottle of ready to use mushrooms infused light soy sauce for steaming fish in chinese grogeries. To made balsamic and mushrooms soy sauce reduction add a tablespoon of oil in a sauce pan, sautee chopped onion until caramelized, then pour a half cup of balsamic vinegar and a half cup of mushrooms infused soy sauce, bring it to boil over medium heat then add half teaspoonfull of sugar.. Once the sauce boil, turn down the heat so that boil reduces to a simmer. Stir occasionally and allow to simmer until the vinegar and the soy sauce has reduced by at least half (thin consistency reduction) or more (thick syrupy consistency). Never increase the heat to fasten the reduction process, unless you want to be left with a stiff, hardened candy mess. I like my balsamic reduction very thin, so i can mix it with the remaining herbs brown butter for searing the Hokkaido scallops.
Seared Scallop with Herb Brown Butter Recipe :
- 500 gr scallops (about 15 scallops)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stick butter (125 gr), cut itu cubed
- 1 tablespoon of chopped mix fresh herbs (rosemarry, thyme, parsley and sage)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
How to Perfectly Pan Seared Scallops:
- Drain the scallops from the remaining dripping using kitchen towel
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper evenly
- Heat up the skillet and swirl the butter to coating it well, allow the butter to foam up and recede
- Watch carefully, after a few minutes, the milk solids will form and sink to the bottom.
- Once the milk solids begin to turn brown caramel-colored, the butter will have a lovely nutty aroma and then you need to add herbs and olive oil to slow the cooking process a little bit and prevent the brown butter got burn
- Put the scallop, do not overfilled it or you’re scallops would be steamed rather than seared
- Once the bottom turn intu crusted golden brown, flip and wait until the other side got charred too
- Wrap the seared Hokkaido scallops with herbs brown butter in alumunium foil to keep it warm before serving it with Balsamic vinegar and mushrooms soy sauce reduction
Balsamic Vineger and Mushrooms Soy Sauce Reduction Recipe:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mushrooms soy sauce (or 1 cup regular light soy sauce plus 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
How to make Balsamic Reduction Infused with Mushrooms Soy Sauce:
- Heat up the olive oil in heavy bottom sauce pan over medium high heat
- Sautee the onion (and mushroms if using fresh mushrooms) until brown and perfectly caramelized
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and the mushrooms soy sauce, bring it boil without reducing the heat on the stove.
- Once it boil, turn down the heat so that boil reduces to a simmer. Stir occasionally and allow to simmer until the vinegar has reduced by at least half,
- Served the balsamic vinegar reduction with the seared Hokkaido scallops with herbs brown buttter.
- I like to mixed the remaining herbs brown butter with the balsamic reduction before serving it with the seared Hokkaido scallops
You May Also Like (Click!):