Porcini mushrooms risotto is one of my favourite Italian rice-based dish since it got a earthy porcini fragrance. Porcini mushrooms or Boletus edulis, commonly known as penny bun or cepes. Considered as a pricey gourmet mushrooms in many western cuisines, and is commonly prepared and eaten in soups, pasta, or risotto. Porcini mushrooms most often dried, packaged and distributed worldwide. Drying keeping its flavour and it is then reconstituted by soaking in water and used in cooking. Porcini mushrooms got meaty texture, with a smooth and creamy nutty flavour, and also earthy pleasant aroma.
I purchased a couple pack of Borde Cepes-Extra Porcini Mushrooms or dried porcini/cepes mushrooms in Grand Lucky Supermarket, Jakarta, for about 5 USD for tiny 28 gr package. Pretty pricey, but i guess it’s worht for the price, besides, it’s not easy to find a gourmet mushrooms in Indonesia, even in Jakarta. I guess this is away cheaper than porcini mushrooms that i’m use fo making Smoked Lamb Chop with PORCINI Mushrooms Crusted, Saffron Polenta and Chicken Ballotine Recipe with Spinach, Minced Chicken and Porcini Mushrooms Powder Stuffing that i’m brought from Ebay.
I’m using short grain brown rise because i’m concern about my weight lately. Brown rice is got it’s outer hull removed, but the underlying bran and germ layers are left on the grain. This made brown rice is more nutritious than white rice because the bran contains vitamins, minerals and oils. It also has more fiber than white rice. The glycemic index of brown rice slightly lowerthen white rice, but since the brown rice got additional fiber and nutrients contains, you may eat less and your stomach is fullfilled longer within and thus have a lower glycemic load from brown rice. Brown rice more expensive than common white rice, partly due to its relatively low supply and difficulty of storage and transport. Brown rice should be placed in dark, airthight and cold place because it can easily oxidized and ruined in a room temperature, that’s why you should refrigerate it in a tupperware or another airthight box if you lived in tropical country like Indonesia.
For the crispy smoked chicken breast topping, i made it from scratch. The recipe and process similiar to my Homemade Smoked Beef and Tea Smoked Salmon. The chicken breast is cured with salt and spices for about 3 days and then smoked in a wok with a mixture of rice, tea and some wood chips as a smoke agent. Right after the smoking process was completed, i sliced it thinly and sprayed it with some EVOO and let it oven baked in 180°C for about 10 minutes until crispy.
Brown Rice & Porcini Mushrooms Rosotto Recipe:
- 1 cups Brown Rice (any short grain rice), soaked 30 minutes before cooking
- 1 pack dried porcini mushrooms (28 gr), soaked overnight with 1 cup water (DO NOT discard the soaking liquid)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 50 gr blue cheese (about 4 tbsp), or any kind of cheee
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan bring the broth and soaking liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- In another medium saucepan, heat up the butter and olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and and stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown rice and stir to combine thoroughly and to ensure that each grain of rice is coated with butter.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of the broth and cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat with a second cup of broth. After that batch is absorbed repeat with 1/2 cup amounts until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes total.
- Stir in the blue cheese
- Serve the brown rice and porcini mushrooms risotto immediately with crispy smoked chicken breast
You May Also Like: (Click!)