Tenderloin steak with spicy gorgonzola blue cheese butter is a hearthy, easy and yet elegant dish for a romantic dinner or other special occation. Sure you can impressed your guess of your love one within, even the preparation is so easy. Take out the tenderloin steak about 30 minutes prior to cooking and let it reach room temperature, meanwhile, prepare the ingredients for the spicy chili and basilblue cheese butter. Obviously, everybody love tenderloin, especially the tips of it that usually called filet mignon in france. I had served tenderloin many ways, Tenderloin Steak with Roasted Garlic Sauce, Tenderloin Filet Mignon with Red Wine Demi Glace Sauce or even cured it into Homemade Tenderloin Beef Bresaola. This tenderloin with chili basil blue cheese butter is another great option to cook tenderloin steak.
Tenderloin is a lean muscles or meat which not much taking effort for the cow’s movement. Tenderloin is tender, just like how it’s named. Tenderloin cut is least affected by the fat marbling grading, you should check the cross section of grade 3 marbling point tenderloin to grrade 12 marbling point wagyu tenderloin, you’ll find not much different on the ammunt of of white fat distributes between the muscles on it. This makes the cheap tenderloin is just as tender as the insanely pricey wagyu tenderloin. The difference between the pricey wagyu tenderloin from the cheap ones is on the flavour, the pricey beef might be take from a cattle that feed with best selection of whole grain, corn, nuts, fresh grass and stuffs, this made the the meat is got more complex flavour.
I love dry aging and curing meats at home, my previously 2 days dry aged Kobe Beef Ribeye with Creamy Mushrooms Sauce using Heston Blumenthal perfect steak method turn out really good. The steak is tender, juice and really beefy, so then i really need to give this home fridge beef aging method to the next level. Seaching all over the internet for home dry aging beef method made me stumble upon to Seriouseats Complete Guide to Dry-Aging Beef at Home, the author describe that individual steak with a thickness 1 1/2 inches or less that dry aged for a week turn into inedible dried out meat. 7 days dry aged beef at fridge left you about 1 cm thickmess of edible meat after you trimming the hard and moldy layer and this means impossible to cookit lower than well-done.
I gotta proved this easy homemade beef aging using fridge theory myself. So then i went to the fresh market and asked the buther to cut 2 tenderloin steaks with about 6-7 cm (2-2 1/2 inches) thickness for each of it. I’m using a regular cattle tenderloin for this project, regular beef tenderloin means the beef even didn’t given any marbling point grading. Nothing to worried about, if the result is compeletely big fat zero i’m not gonna feeling really bad about it anyway. The meat, check! now the fridge must be totally cleaned out from other veggies and herbs, otherwise it’s gonna be ruined the meat. All the fresh ingredients including veggies, potatoes, fruits and herbs is put in a air sealed tupperware. The beef tenderloin got the second rack of my fridge all for itself to let the air surrounding the meat circulates better. I left the beef tenderloin lay in a shallow metal rack for seven days in my fridge without any wrapping and flip it every 2 days. I set the fridge in the “dry mode” and kept the fridge door closed unless i really-really need to get things out of it because to often opening the door made temperature inside the fridge fluctuated and it’s undesireable in dry aging beef.
Right after the tenderloin beef dry aged for 14 days in the fridge, i observed the meat layered by a waxy crust without any spot of white mold in the bottom and it’s pretty normal for dry aged beef. I trimmed the hard waxy layer all over the surfave of the beef tenderloin and left about 4-5 cm (1 1/2-2 inches) thickness of edible meat. The 14 days dry aged tenderloin got a bloody dark red color with a distinct beefy smells. The texture of 14 days dry aged beef tenderloin is more bounchy compare to the fresh ones due to the moisture loss. The verdict of my dry aged tenderloin according to my taste buds, the steak is really tender and melt in mouth, i really mean it for real. For more complexion of beef flavour on your dry aged tenderloin, you can continue to dry aged beef to 45 or 60 days, don’t get hesitate that your beef gonna be completely drained out because it wont. Right after the first two weeks of aging, the muscle fibers closely packed and seal the moisture from the inner side meat. In the other hand, the enzyme continued to break down the muscle and developing more complex flavour. The 14 days old and 45 days old dry aged beef gonna had almost the same thickness of dry waxy layer of meat to be trimmed off.
The gorgonzola blue cheese butter for my 14 days dry aged tenderloin steak in this recipe is really simple and yet burst with flavour. I mixed roughly chopped basil, sauteed and caramelized chopped red shallots and chilies, then stir it with gorgonzola blue cheese and clarified butter. The gorgonzola cheese butter got a really complex flavour, sweet from the caramelized shallots, nutty from the clarified butter, spicy hot from the chilies, herbs fragrance of Thai lemon basil and all of that overwhelm with salty and pungent blue cheese. All the ingredients must be chilled before mixed, then after mixed well i put it in a cling wrapping plastic and then rolled it to assemble a cylindrical log. Wrapping it once more with alumunium foil made it chilled even better in the fridge. The spicy chili and basil blue cheese butter log than cut into a thick coin and place over the tenderloin steak, melt a little bit and there you go to enjoy it.
This spicy chili and basil gorgonzola butter using clarified butter that really had a lower temperature melting point compare with the regular butter. Blue cheese butter with clarified butter is so easy to melt as you see in the photograph, so i need to keep it chilled before serving instead it’s spreadable rather than plateable. Clarified butter is renderred butter without the milk content, that’s why the clarified butter color is yellow instead of white. Clarified butter got a nutty flavour, a complex combination of almond and peanut. You can use regular butter for a better presentation, it’s hold it’s form and pretty easier to photograph as well.
Dry Aged Tenderloin Steak Recipe with Spicy Gorgonzola Blue Cheese Butter:
- 2 @ 25o gr 14 days dry aged tenderloin stek
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- seasalt and freshly grounded black peppercorn
How to Cook Dry Aged Tenderloin Steak with Heston Blumenthal Method:
- Take your dry aged tenderloin steaks out of the fridge for a couple of hours until reach the room temperature
- Rub all the dry aged tenderloin steak with salt and black peppercorn and make sure it coated evenly
- Heat up your griller until as hot as it could be
- Set your stopwatch to countdown the time
- Pour the olive oil and melted butter to the dry aged tenderloin steak
- Grill the dry aged tenderloin steak and let cook it for 15 seconds.
- Flip the tenderloin steak over and over again every 15 seconds until it’s got a nice charred and crusted surface for about totally 1 minutes (i’m using 250 gr tenderloin steak, you need about 2-3 minutes for larger steak)
- Check the tenderloin beef steak doness (medium rare is preferred) with meat thermometer (135F for medium rare)
- let it rest for at least 2-3 minutes (i’m using 250 gr tenderloin steak, you need about 5 minutes for larger steak)
- Served the perfectly grilled dry aged tenderloin steak with the spicy chili basil blue cheese butter.
Gorgonzola Blue Cheese Butter with Chili, Basil and Caramelized Shallots Recipe:
- 20 gr finely chopped chilies (deseeded first to reduce the hotness)
- 5o gr finely chopped red shallots
- 30 gr finely chopped fresh lemon basil leaves
- 50 gr crumbled gorgonzola blue cheese
- 100 gr clarified butter
- lime zest*optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Plastic cling film for wrapping and rolling thegorgonzola butter
- Alumunium foil for wrapping the gorgonzola butter
How to Make Chili Basil Gorgonzola Butter :
- Heat up the olive oil in a sauce pan, saute the red shallots and chilies over medium low heat until browned and caramelized for about 5 minutes, set aside and chilled in the fridge
- Lay a plastic cling film in a table, set aside
- In a glass bowl, mix all ingredients until well blend
- Put it in over the cling film and then roll it to made a cylindrical log
- Wrap it with alumunium foin and let it refrigerate until set
- Serve the spicy chili basil blue cheese butter with the dry aged grilled tenderloin steak
Fun Dentistry Fact:
Cleaning your tonge right after you brush your teeth reduced the amount of bad germs that produce volatil sulphuric compound in your mouth and prevent halitosis or bad breath. You can use tonge scrapper or tonge cleaner and scrapping the rear of your tonge to remove any slimey semi solid saliva.
You May Also Like (Click!)