Wine Braised Turkey Leg Recipe is a very simple and easy to follow in your kitchen, the only effort is about waiting. USA turkey leg braised until tender and definitely suckable instead of just fall off from the bone. The large turkey leg pan seared first until charred and crisp out a little bit and then braised with shallots, onion, scallions, garlic and carrot that browned first. The skillet then poured with wine and stock, right after the mixture boiled, the tukey leg mixture transferred into a heatproof bowl (or not), wrap in alumunium foil and oven braised in 150 C for about 2-3 hours until tender. The braising liquid pureed with all of the ingredients and then mixed with roux to made a thick and rich brown sauce for serving the white wine braised turkey leg. Just before serving, i used to pan fried and seared the turkey leg until nice and crispy.
Braised turkey in heavy spice instead just roasting it maybe a good choice for any of you who got dominant asian licking. I had taste roasted turkey three times and i always got the sliced breast, you know what, i think with clearly pretty sure that roasted turkey itself is such a boring dish. Thanks God the roasted turkey breast was once served with cranberry sauce and the other served with heavy creamy brown sauce which i think made of the roasted turkey gravy. Learn from that culinary experienced, i want to spiced up my turkey leg, that’s why i rub my turkey leg with Homemade Garam Masala Spice along with crushed thyme, rosemarry, sage and freshly grounded juniper berries.
For making braised turkey leg with white wine, i’m using USA turkey leg that i’ve purchased from Ranch Market Supermarket at Pacific Place Mall Jakarta. I think i’m lucky enough found out the turkey leg since turkey is not popular protein sources for native Indonesian people. Turkey leg was pretty massive compare to my goose leg that i used to made Goose Leg Confit (Confit de’Oie), that’s why i decided to seperated the cojoined turkey leg from it’s thight after i marinade it with the spices and herbs. I made turkey confit with the remaining turkey thight.
Roasted Summer Vegetables with thyme and rosemarry was the best accompanion ever for braised turkey with wine. I’m using corn in the cob, green tomatoes, baby onion, baby potato, baby parnisp, butternut pumpkin and also carrot. The roasted summer vegetables recipe is quite simple, i just diced the vegetables into bite size piece, season with salt and pepper and then tossed with olive oil and crushed thyme and rosemarry. I roast the vegetables in 180°C oven, covered in alumunium foil for about 10-15 minutes until the vegetables quite tender and then broiled in 250°C for another 10 minutes until got a nice charred caramelized layer in the surface.
Wine braised turkey leg was originally only use white wine or red wine with some broth as a liquid, but since i almost run out of white wine (which is left only 1/2 cup), i also add some light beer and mirin (japanese sweet cooking wine). The mixture of wine, beer and mirin liquid for braising and tenderized the turkey leg turn into unusual combination, but fortunately it was quite in pleasant term. The slighly bitter beer after taste balanced with the sweetness of mirin and both can represent of slighly tangy white wine.
How does turkey leg taste like ?, well i think it’s almost like chicken, pork, rabbit, or other white fleshes animal. The turkey meat is much more firm and also flakier than chicken meat. Overall, i think i lovin braised turkey leg rather than roasted turkey breast. I guess maybe turkey leg was taste nice too to be roasted because it’s contain much more fat and collagen rathen than lean breast meat. You know what, the tasties used to be the most sinsfully, simply because that’s the way it is.
Wine Braised Turkey Leg Recipe:
- 4 Turkey legs (about 3-4 pounds)
- 2 cups white wine (you can replace with red wine too)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced scallion
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6 cherry tomatoes*optional
- 1 tbsp Homemade Garam Masala
- Herbs ( chopped thyme, rosemarry & sage), about 1 tbsp
- 1/2 tbsp juniper berries
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and peper to taste
How To Make Braised Turley Leg with White Wine:
- Pat dry the turkey leg, rub with thyme, rosemarry, sage, juniper berry, salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, put the marinated turley leg in some ziplock plastic bag and refrigerate it overnight
- Firstly in the morning, preheat oven at 160 C
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil in the skillet, seared the turkey leg all over until all the surfaces properly browned
- Throw in the garlic, shallots, onion, carrot and scallion into th skillet and let it browned and charred for another 10 minutes
- Pour the wine, deglaze the skillet and bring the mixture to boil
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan with some alumunium foil
- Put the entire pan in the oven (or transfer the mixture to heat proof glass bowl) and roast for about 2-3 hours until the turkey leg is fork tender (otherwise you can simmer the pan until the turkey leg is tender, adjust the liquid if necessary)
- Pan fried the white wine braised turkey leg before served with roasted summer vegetables and Turkey Gravy Brown Sauce
Turkey Gravy Brown Sauce Recipe
- Turkey gravy with the braising solid ingredients or ‘pulp’
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
How to Make Turkey Gravy Brown Sauce:
- Reserve the liquid and strain the ‘pulp’ or solid ingredients from the braising liquid
- Process the braising ‘pulp’ in a blender until smooth
- Heat up 1 tbsp butter in the heavy botton non sticky sauce pan with medium low heat
- Add the flour and stir it immediately until all the flour dredged with the butter
- Wait until the mixture start bubbly an floury, add the braising liquid and stir it evenly
- Add the pureed ‘pulp’ and bring it to boil
- Keep stirring and simmer until the turkey gravy brown sauce is thicken and done.
Roasted Summer Vegetables with Rosemarry and Thyme Recipe:
- 4 cups Vegetables (I’m using corn, chayote, b utternut pumpkin, parnisp, baby potato, green tomato, baby onion and also cherry tomato), cut into bite pieces
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp of chopped rosemarry
- 1 tbsp crushed thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Roasted Summer Vegetables with Rosemarry and Thyme:
- Preheat the oven in 200°C
- Miz the vegetables with rosemarry, thyme, salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and toss it well
- Lay the vegetables in the roasting pan, cover the entire roasting pan with alumunium foil
- Roast the vegetables for about 10-15 minutes until the vegetables quite tende
- Uncovered the roasted summer vegetables
- Increase the oven temperature to in 250°C broil for another 10 minutes until the summer vegetables got a nice charred caramelized layer in the surface
- Served it with the wine braised turkey leg