Salt and pepper mantis shrimp with crispy butter cereal or oast is actually a fusion of salt and pepper mantis shrimp recipe with butter garlic and cereal mantis shrimp recipe. Salt and pepper recipe is a popular Cantonese style seafood preparation for shrimp, soft shell crab or mantis shrimp. Salt and pepper shrimp is not only popular in China and Taiwan, but also in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. The mantis shrimp is usually batterred and then deep fried until golden brown. Right after the oil is spilled out from the wok pan and remind some of the oil, the minced garlic is slowly stir fried with low heat until it’s got crispy and nice golden brown to enhance the flavour. Freshly grounded black peppercorn added to the wok pan and then a pinch of salt springkled for the taste. This is the basic recipe for making salt and pepper mantis shrimp. But actually i’ve never seen any of this kind of simple preparation, the chef is usually added chopped chilli, ginger, spring onion and chinese five spice or ngo-hiang powder to make it fragrance and taste rich even more.
Butter cereal mantis shrimp or prawn is also cantonese style seafood preparation. The basic ingredients is butter, cereal or oatmeal or havermout, garlic, chilli and one of the most important ingredients is curry leaves. Yes, you’re right, i think this dish won’t be authentic without the fragrance of curry leaves. Since, both salt and pepper and butter cereal recipe is got the same cooking technique; slowly stir fried with a low heat until all ingredients got crispy, i think why didn’t i put alll of them into one plate. This is absolutely a must try recipe, i put my reputation for the guarantee.
I put my personal licking twist too to the recipe. Instead of using only black peppercorn, i use szechuan peppercorn to make some kick’in to the dish. Both black and white sesame seed that i added to this mantis shrimp or mantis prawn recipe make some nutty flavour. For making a hillarious and hectic aromas, i add a thinly slice of lemongrass. I guess that your kitchen will be smells like heaven when you making this dish.
How to preparing and cleaning the mantis shrimp or mantis prawn???. This may be your first question when you handle this unusual sea creatures. Just like a shrimp, you should discard the vein in the back, you could simply cut the back shell to expose the meat and then make a tiny incission along the back or the tail and then pull out the vein easily. Some people like to cut the swimming leg on the tail, but i prefer did’t since it’s would be taste great and crispy after deep fried. After springkled with salt and pepper, you can dredge it with a little bit of flour to seal the exposed mantis shrimp tail meat. This is needed to prevent the meat got overcooked after the cooking processes.
Salt and Pepper Mantis Shrimp with Crispy Butter Cereal is called Udang Lipan or Udang Ronggeng Goreng Gandum Mentega dengan Lada Garam in Indonesia. This dish is best served immediately and eaten when the cereal is still crispy. You can simply reheat it in a wok pan with low heat until the cereal is got crispy again. But usually this dish gonna be gone as quick as flicking your finger.
Salt and Pepper Mantis Shrimp with Crispy Butter Cereal or Oatmeals Recipe:
- 1 large (about 500 gr) mantis shrimp (Udang Ronggeng/Udang Lipan)
- 1/2 cup oatmeals or cereal (Havermut/Gandum)
- 2 tbsp butter (Mentega)
- 3 cloves garlic (Bawang Putih), finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves (Daun Kari/Temurui)
- 6 or more bird eye chilli pepper (Cabe Rawit Merah), deseeded, chopped
- 3 or more green chilli pepper (Cabe Hijau), deseeded, chopped
- 2 cm ginger (Jahe), finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass (Sereh), thinly slice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (Lada Hitam)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground szechuan peppercorn (Lada Sicuan)
- 1/2 tbsp black sesame seed (Wijen Hitam)
- 1/2 tbsp white sesame seed (Wijen Putih)
- ½ tsp chinese five-spice powder (Bumbu Ngo–Hiang)
- Sea salt (Garam) to taste
- Tapioca Flour (Tepung Tapioka/Sagu) for dredging the mantis shrimp
- 1 tsp lemon juice (Sari Jeruk Lemon) for marinating the mantis shrimp
- Vegetable oil (minyak Goreng) for deep frying and stir frying
- Clean and prepare the mantis shrimp * following the descriptios above
- Season with a pinch of seasalt, black peppercorn and lemon juice, let it marinade for 10 minutes
- Drain the mantis shrimp and gently dredge it with tapioca flour, make sure the exposed mantis shrimp tail meat ic fully covered.
- Deep fried the mantis shrimp until it’s got nice golden brown color
- Drain the mantis shrimp and spill out the oil and remain it about 1 tbsp for stir frying
- Heat up the remaining oil, add the butter and let it completely melted
- Stir fry the garlic, ginger and lemongrass with low heat until nice golden brown
- Add the chillies, sesame seed, cereal and curry leaves, continue to saute until the curry leaves got crispy
- Add the deep fried mantis shrimp, season with black peppercorn, szechuan peppercorn and seasalt
- Tossed it until all the ingredients mixed well and the cereal is got nice golden brown color
- Just before serving, turn off the heat and add the five spice powder
- Serve it immediately
You May Also Like :