Confit (French, pronounced [kɔ̃fi] or in English “con-fee”) means a method of French culinary cooking for various kinds of food that have been immersed in a substance for both flavour and preservation. Sealed and stored in a cool place, confit can last for several months. Confit is one of the oldest ways to preserve food, and is a speciality of southwestern France.
Confit of goose (confit d’oie) and duck confit (confit de canard) are usually prepared from the legs of the bird. The meat is salted and seasoned with herbs, and slowly cooked submerged in its own rendered fat, in which it is then preserved by allowing it to cool and storing it in the fat. Turkey and pork may be treated similarly. Meat confits are a specialty of the southwest of France (Toulouse, Dordogne, etc.) and are used in dishes such as cassoulet. Confit preparations originated as a means of preserving meats without refrigeration.
Goose Confit Recipe with Tomato Confit and Mashed Sweet Potato
To prepare a confit, the meat is rubbed with salt, garlic, and sometimes herbs such as thyme, rosemarry and bayleaf then covered and refrigerated for up to 36 hours. Salt-curing the meat acts as a preservative. Prior to cooking, the spices are rinsed from the meat, which is then patted dry. The meat is placed in a cooking dish deep enough to contain the meat and the rendered fat, and placed in an oven at a low temperature (76 – 135 degrees Celsius/170 – 275 Fahrenheit). The oil should not be boiling into a large bubble, but gently little bubbles. The meat is slowly poached at least until cooked, or until meltingly tender, generally four to ten hours.
The meat and fat are then removed from the oven and left to cool. When cool, the meat can be transferred to a canning jar or other container and completely submerged in the fat. A sealed jar of duck confit may be kept in the refrigerator for up to six months, or several weeks if kept in a reusable plastic container. To maximise preservation if canning, the fat should top the meat by at least one inch. The cooking fat acts as both a seal and preservative and results in a very rich taste. Skipping the salt curing stage greatly reduces the shelf life of the confit.
Confit is also sold in cans, which can be kept for several years. The flavourful fat from the confit may also be used in many other ways, as a frying medium for sautéed vegetables (e.g., green beans and garlic, wild or cultivated mushrooms), savory toasts, scrambled eggs or omelettes, and as an addition to shortcrust paste for tarts and quiches.
Crispy goose skin and tender meat , that’s confit all about !
Crispy Confit Skin with Melted and Tender Meat
Heavently packed : crispy n savory confit+ sweet n sour tomato confit + creamy n smooth mashed sweet potato !
A classic recipe is to fry or grill the legs in a bit of the fat or simply roasting then in the oven until they are well-browned and crisp, and use more of the fat to roast some potatoes and garlic as an accompaniment. The potatoes roasted in duck fat to accompany the crisped-up confit is called pommes de terre à la sarladaise. Another accompaniment is red cabbage slow-braised with apples and red wine.
Goose Meat, Daging Angsa
tips making confit : Make a Circle Cut to Make a Dramatic Shaped Goose Leg Confit!
French Goose Confit Recipe:
- 1 large goose, cut into 4 section
- 4-6 cups Goose fat ( I use coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 4 Bay leaves broken
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried rosemarry eaves
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1o garlic cloves, roughy chopped
Mashed Purple Sweet Potato Recipe:
- 1 large roasted sweet potato, keep it warm in a rice warmer
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Tomato and mushrooms Confit Recipe :
- 1/2 cup ripe cherry tomato
- 1/2 cup Shimeji mushroom, discard the root
- 1 cup oil( from confit d’oie)
- salt n pepper to taste
- sliced star fruit
- edible micro greens
- meat floss
- shaved cucumber
How to make goose confit :
- Pat dry the goose leg and breast, rub all ingredient except t the oil, refrigerate for about 24 hours
- Discard any liquid that derived from the goose meat and gently washed the salt mixture with warm water and don’t over do this steps of you’ll gonna get tasteless confit, pat dry
- Rub the goose with another 1 tsp ground black pepper and 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- Put the goose on the heavy boottom crock pot and pour the coconut oil until the goose is totally submerge about 1 inch.
- Cook the mixture in a very low flame until a very gentle little bubble comes out, cook about 4-12 hour until the meat is fal off the bone
- Drain well, and you can save this in a fridge for up to 6 month with the meat totally submerge in the oil.
- Just before serving, fry or simply roasted the confit until crisp up.
How to make mashed sweet potato:
- Combine all ingredient in aglass bowl, mashed into snooth paste
- Keep it warm untill serve
How to make Tomato and Shimeji Mushrooms Confit :
- Season the tomato and mushroom with salt and pepper.
- Put the tomato and the mushrooms on the heavy bottom crock pot and pour the oil from making confit until totally submerge about 1 inch.
- Cook the mixture in a very low flame until a very gentle little bubble comes out, cook about 1 hour
- Drain well, keep warm until serve
the rest off the confit goodness…..
You May Also Like :
- Resep Pistachio Nuts Crusted Black Seabass Fish Fillet ala Dentist Chef
- Pan Seared Marlin Fillet with Black Garlic,Chilli & Lemongrass Sauce, Balsamic Vinegar Reduction and Aglio Olio Pasta : Fine Dining Features Recipe
- Grilled Cajun Style Tuna Steak with Creamy Dill Sauce ala Dentist Chef
- Avocado and Feta Cheese Salad with Pickled Green Olives, Shaved Daikon Radish, Cerry Tomato and Spicy Cassava
- Chicken Kebab with Tomato Mint Salsa and Thai Dipping Sauce: IT’S FUSION TIMES !
- Resep Butter Poached Salmon & Sliced Jalapeno’s Pepper Aglio Olio Spaghetti
- Pan Fried Seabass in Black Cumin and Sesame Crusted with Roasted Stuffed Jalapeno pepper, Pumpkin Purée and Balsamic Reduction
- Steamed Tiger Garoupa/Grouper with Tausi/ Fermented Black Bean and Egg Tofu (Resep Ikan Kerapu Tahu Tausi)
- Steamed Sea Scallop with Black Bean Sauce and Served with Rice Glass Vermicelli/ Bihoon