Long Bean or Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis is a legume cultivated to be eaten as green pods. It is known as the yardlong bean, bora, long-podded cowpea, asparagus bean, snake bean, Chinese long bean or Kacang Panjang The plant is subtropical/tropical and most widely grown in the warmer parts of South Asia, Southeast Asia, and southern China. A variety of the cowpea, it is grown primarily for its strikingly long (35-75 cm) immature pods and has uses very similar to that of the green bean.They are best for vegetable use if picked before they reach full maturity; however, overlooked pods can be used like dry beans in soups. When harvesting, it is important not to pick the buds which are above the beans; since the plant will set many more beans on the same stem.
The crisp, tender pods are eaten both fresh and cooked. They are at their best when young and slender. They are sometimes cut into short sections for cooking uses. As a West Indian dish, they are often stir-fried with potatoes and shrimp. They are also used in stir-fries in Chinese cuisine. In Malaysian cuisine, they are often stir-fried with chillies and shrimp paste (sambal) or used in cooked salads (kerabu). Another popular option is to chop them into very short sections and fry them in an omelette. In indonesia, locals used to make a hot and spicy thin curry with long bean and chicken innard like liver and heart, beef nnard are commond too.
Resep Kacang Panjang tumis daging sapi dan ayam ala resto!
Instead of cutting into pieces, i like to make a rolled long bean before stir fry. One of my friend ask me about it when i put it in my Roasted Pigeon (Squab) with Spicy Szechuan Style Seasoning. You can use this rolled long bean on salad or side dish aswell, keep it in tight plasic box and last for about 3 days in a fridge.
- 1 pack long beans (250 gr), trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cloves shallot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cm ginger , finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp chili flakes/ 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh deseeded chili
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved with 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 100 gr regular minced/ground beef
- 100 gr regular minced/ground chicken
How to make Curled Green Bean (Long Bean Garnish) :
- In saucepan of boiling water, blanch green beans for 2 minutes. Put into ice water to retain the green color. Drain and pat dry. Set aside.
- Fold the long bean about 10 cm from the bean end
- slip over the bean from the bottom of the long bean end
- Rolled out the long bean until 1 cm from the folded end
- Slip the long bean end to the folded end, stretch al lil bit the bean end to thighten the curled long bean
- Voila, Your curled long bean can be used as garnish or stir fried
- In wok or large skillet, heat up oil over high heat, saute the garlic, shallot and ginger until slightly browned
- Add the minced chicken and meat, stir-fry the beef and chicken until discolored about 4 minutes.
- Add onion and chili, stir-fry until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add green beans and the rest of ingredient, stir-fry until beans are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes, adding up to water to prevent sticking, if necessary.
You may Also Like :
- Avocado and Feta Cheese Salad with Pickled Green Olives, Shaved Daikon Radish, Cerry Tomato and Spicy Cassava
- Japanese Spring Onion/Scallion/Leek Pancake ala Dentist Chef
- Resep Tofu Omelette (Tahu Telur) with Peanut Sauce, Meat Floss and Garlic Chieves
- Stir Fry Seitan (Gluten/ Vegetarian Meat) in Fermented Black Bean Sauce: Meatless Monday Features!
- Resep Kailan Siram Daging Sapi ala Dentist Chef ( Kailan/Chinese Broccoli With Grounded Beef)
- Greek Salad Recipe (Cucumber, Olives, Tomato, and Feta Cheese Salad) ala Dentist Chef
- Crispy Enoki Mushrooms Tempura with Teriyaki Sauce: Meatless Monday Recipes
- Beggar Chicken / Ayam pengemis : Chinese New Year Recipes ala Dentist Chef
- Zhangcha Tea Smoked Duck (Goose) Recipe with Homemade Plum Sauce ala Dentist Chef
- Stir Fry Lotus Root, Broccoli and Leftover Roasted Beef Brisket ala Dentist Chef
- Buddha Jump Over The Wall Soup (Shark Fin Soup/Buddha’s Delight) ala Dentist Chef
- Resep Tumis Daging Ular/ Stir Fried Snake Meat ala Dentist Chef