Jellyfish consedered as delicacy seafoood produck in Asia, especially Korea, Japan and China. Nowdays, jelly fish is popular through out the world due to japanese and korean food invention. The jellyfish is salted right after harvesting to prevent it ruined and discarded it’s poison. The salting process takes several times, then the jellyfish is ready to dried. If not dried they can spoil within a matter of hours. Once dried, they can be stored for a long period.
Jellyfish salad is the most popular dish using jellyfish. Simple sesame dressing or dipping sauce is usually served with the jellyfish salad. Since the jellyfish is had a strong fishy aromas, i boiled it twice time. The first boil is actually just blancing to reduce the aromas and the second boil is infused with fragrance spice to make the dish even better. I like to make a hot, sour and spicy dressing with sea cucumber salad. usually i use shaved zucchini within the salad, but today the supermarket rearby my place is run out of it.
If try jellyfish salad in korean restaurant before. It’s ridiculously bland and dressed with too damned simple dressing. The sesame seed even not toasted and when i complained it to the manager, she appollogize for such unpleasant dish. They made another jellyfish salad and this time the salad is dressed well and served twice amount from the previous dish.
Jellyfish Salad Recipe:
- 250 gr dried jellyfish, washed, soaked overnight, drained
- 4 cups water
- spice for boiling jellyfish :ginger, garlic, lemongrass, cracked black peppercorn,green cardamond, scallion
Jellyfish Salad Spicy Dressing Recipe:
- 1 spring onions, thiny sliced
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar or 1 tbsp leon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bird eye chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp SAMBAL RICA-RICA
- 1/4 tsp szechuan peppercorns, toasted and grounded
- 1/2 tsp toasted black sesame
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame
- salt to taste
How to Prepare and Cook Jellyfish:
- Fill a large metal pan with 2 cups of water let it boil, put the jellyfish, bring to boil again and turn off the heat
- Drain the jellyfish and set aside
- Pour the other 2 cups of water and spice for boiling the jellyfish, let it boil 10 minutes.
- Simmer the jellyfish for another 10 minutes, drained, set aside and refrigerate
How to Make Jellyfish Salad Spicy Dressing:
- Heat up the sesame oil in a sauce pan, saute the chopped garlic until slightly browned, set aside and let it cooled to room temperature
- Mix all dressing ingredients, chilled
How to Make Jellyfish Salad:
- Mix the chilled boiled jellyfish with salad dressing, served cold as appetizer