- Sambal Dabu-Dabu is traditional hot, sour and spicy salsa from Manado, Indonesia. Sambal dabu-dabu is similiar to Mexican salsa for tacos. It’s consists chopped tomatoes, freshly squeese calamansi limes or known as lemon cui or jeruk kesturi/kunci, shallots, chopped bird’s eye chili, lemon basil leaves, vegetable oil or coconut oil, and salt. Sambal Dabu-Dabu is related to Sambal Matah from Bali which consist of finely sliced shallots, chopped bird’s eye chili, terasi or shrimp paste, with a dash of kaffir lime juice. Both Sambal Dabu-Dabu and Sambal Matah is suits for any seafood, especialy barrbequed dish.
- For the grilling or barbequing seasoning, i use Sambal Rica-Rica. Another spicy and hot sambal from Manado, it uses ginger, chili, lemon and spices. Suitable for barbecue meats and seafoods. I’ve posted Grilled Beef Ribs with Indonesian Spicy Rica-Rica Sauce or Resep Iga Sapi Bakar Bumbu Rica-Rica. For todays lunch, i use ikan baronang or rabbit fish, species from family Siganidae. Common baronang in Indonesia is Baronang Susu (Siganus canaliculatus). This fish ir rather seasonal fish with a white, sweet and succulent meat. Ikan baronang is usually grilled, deep fried or even pepes (steamed with banana leaves wrap).
Since i’m starving and literrary can wait longer to cooked through the fish with grilling, i deep fried the fish first to cheated the cooking duration. Well, some of the restaurant did this too. The fish is usually seasoned, deep fried until half done than grilled with some seasoning applied. The fish is grilled just to infused the smokey aromas and this can get rid the fishy smells.
Grilled rabbit fish (ikan baronang bakar) recipe:
- 1 (600 gr) ikan baronang or rabbit fish, cleaned
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3 cm ginger, grated, juiced
- salt and peper to taste
- 3 tbsp SAMBAL RICA-RICA
- oil for deep friying
- SAMBAL DABU-DABU
How to make grilled rabbit fish :
- Marinade the rabbit fish with garlic, ginger juice, lemon juice and salt, let it refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, set your barbeque charcoal
- Deep fried the rabbit fish until half done#optional
- Spread SAMBAL RICA-RICA all over the rabbit fish
- Grill until the fish is cooked through
- Served with SAMBAL DABU-DABU