Crispy Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab with Salted Egg Yolk Batter is one of popular chinese style crab cooking recipe. Instead making a salted egg yolk sauce, i prefer to add the salted egg yolk to the dry batter. The soft shell crab is mixed with thick liquid beer batter first, then dredge in a dried batter mixture consist tapioca starch, rice flour and salted egg yolk. Tapioca starch bring the lightness and the rice flour made the crispy texture last longer, while the salted egg yolk give a sandy texture, savoury taste and a nice yellow color.
Soft shell crab with salted egg yolk batter recipe is a seasonal dish since you can get it fresh all the year, but frozen. Soft-shell crab is molted crab that harvested when the new crab exoskeleton (shell) and are still soft. It means almost of the entire animal can be eaten, rather than having to shell the animal to reach the meat. Since the soft shell crab used rather small size crab, it made the soft shell crab double or more price-value compared to ordinary ones. Crab shell periodically becomes soft during natural molting process and it happens in a short period, thats why the fisherman should harvest it because delay period make the crab shell hardens back quickly.
Common method to profoked the crab molting process, fisherman usually mutilated the crab claws and all the walking leg. The swimmer leg is left behind to keep the crab alive. This cruelt method is still applied nowdays but some fisherman used the humanely molting process with crab molting enzim from spinach extract found by Prof.Yushinta Fujaya, a Indonesian professor from Hasanuddin University. The application of spinach extract can induce molting process in crabs, thus helps the crab farmers to produce soft shelled mud crabs simultaneously on desirable schedule.
Kepiting Cangkang Lunak or Kepiting Soka /Lemburi telur asin goreng garing is crispy deep fried soft shell crab with salted egg batter in Bahasa. This kick’in savoury appetizer can be eaten alone or dip in spicy sauce; Vietnamese Chilli and lemongrass Sauce, Salsa Verde, Sambal Dabu-Dabu (Raw Chili Salsa) or Chilli Mint Mayonaise, it’s your own preference. Since crab and salted egg yolk itself contain a lot of cholesterol, i used to served it with veggies like watercress or cabbage coleslaw to make me not feeling guilty about it. Besid, i like to springkel it with shichimi togarashi or japanese seven flavor chili pepper for serving any battereed deep fried dish .
Crispy Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab with Salted Egg Yolk Batter Recipe:
- 500 gr (4 Pieces) fresh soft shell crab
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Beer Batter Soft Shell Crab Recipe:
- 1/4 can VERY COLD beer
- 1 small egg white
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Salted Egg Yolk Batter Soft Shell Crab Recipe:
- 6 cooked salted egg yolk, mashed
- 4 tablespoons tapioca starch flour (you can replace with all purpose or corn starch)
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the soft shell crab in running water, you can remove the mouth and gills part, but i didn’t anyway
- Season the soft shell crab with lime juice, salt and pepper and let it marinade for about 10 minutes in the fridge, drain well
- Mix all the salted egg yolk batter, set aside
- Mix the beer batter ingredients in separated bowl
- Dip the soft shell crab in the liquid beer batter mixture
- Dredge the soft shell crab in the salted egg yolk batter mixture, rub evenly to coat it well, shake off the excess dried batter
- Deep fried the battered soft shell crab until reach nice golden brown color
- Drain and serve it immediately
You May Also Like: