Grilled Prawn with Thai Gren Curry is one of my all time favourite dish. Thai Green curry (Thai: แกงเขียวหวาน, RTGS: kaeng khiao wan, IPA: [kɛːŋ kʰjǎw wǎːn], literally sweet green curry) is an savuory curry originally from Thai cuisine. The velvety “green” curry color derives from the color of processed thai lemon basil (kemangi) and green chillies. The “sweet” in the Thai language refers to the nice green color of it and nothing related with the taste. The additoon of coconut milk made the curry broth got mild green color. There’s similiar green curry in Indonesia called gulai lado ijo. This spicy Padangnese curry spice paste contains no shrimp paste on it, beside there’s none fish sauce and lemon basil leaves added (except for seafood), but gulai lado ijo got more spice and chilli on the spice paste and that made the broth is hotter and more spicy.
Grilled prawn or shrimp with Thai green curry recipe is so easy to replicate in your kitchen if you got the green curry paste. It can be found in most asian supermarket nearby your place, but if you want to made it from scratch, the result must be superb than the instant green curry paste. The main ingredients for the Thai green currys a broth consist of green curry paste, coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and Thai basil leaves. The consistency of its sauce varies with the amount of coconut milk used. Green curry paste is made of green chillies, shallots, garlic, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime zest, coriander root, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, white peppercorns, shrimp paste and salt. The paste is sauteed with the cthick coconut milk (or with vegetalble oil) until the oil is dripping is seen on the sauteed spice paste. Once the curry paste is throughly cooked over medium high heat, plenty of coconut milk and then the protein (meat, fish or prawn) and vegetables added. Then right after the broth is boiled, a pinch of palm sugar, dash or fish sauce added to adjust the taste. Finally, Thai basil are added just at the end of cooking for fragrance, but i love to add the lemon basil leaves on the spice paste too to enhanced the flavour.
I’m using udang galah or giant freshwater prawn for this recipe, but you can replace it with any kind of prawn or shrimp. Beside, Thai green curry can be made with all kinds of meat. However, the more popular ones are made with beef, pork, chicken. The green curry is usually eaten with rice as part of a wider range of dishes in a meal, or with round rice noodles known as khanom chin as a single dish. You can even make a nasi goreng or fried rice too with green curry paste.
Thai Green Curry Paste recipe :
- 12 green chilies (Thai green chilies), deseeded
- 6 bird eye chillies, or more for preference hotness
- 6 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 cm galangal root
- 3 cm ginger root
- 2 cm turmeric root
- 4 stalk lemongrass, use the soft white inner part only
- 6 corriander ROOTS (Yes, u read it well, THE ROOT OF CORRIANDER!)
- 1/2 cup fresh thai lemon basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. coriandersed
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste
- 2 tsp.kaffir lime juice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 100 ml thick coconut milk
Grilled Prawn/Shrimp recipe :
- 6 @200-300 grams udang galah (Freshwater Giant Head Prawn)
- 1 tbsp kaffir lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp green curry paste for marinade
- 2 tbsp melted margarine
How to make thai green curry paste :
- Place all ingredients in a food processor, chopper, or blender.
- Process well to form a fragrant Thai green curry paste. Taste-test it for salt and spice.
- Heat up 1 2 tbsp oil in a heavy botton pan, saute all ingredient until done and the oil is separated from the green curry paste
- Add the coconut oil and bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Your curry paste is now ready to be used. You can bottle up any leftovers and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze there after.
How to make grilled prawn/ shrimp with thai green curry paste
- Mix prawn with salt, pepper and lime juice, marinade about 15 minutes in the fridge
- Draine and pat dry the prawn, add the thai green curry paste and melted margarine
- Grilled until the prawn is done.
- Serve with thai green cury paste
- Veggies bundle (enoki mushroom, carrot and cucumber)
- Curled spring onion
- curled chillies
- Prawn tail, stuffed with rice mixed with thai green curry paste.