Homemade salmon nugget is an easy and healty snack. Homemade salmon nugget is much more cheaper than the store brought that loads with many preservatives, food coloring and also tons of mono sodium glutamat (MSG). Frozen salmon nugget with ‘no preservatives & additives’ label usually tagged pretty pricey, while the cheaper ones must be fulled of filler, either flour or another chemical agents. The cheapy store brought frozen salmon nugget is actually packed with lots of calories with only a little nutritional value, this provoked early age obesity. Eversince almost toddler love nuggets all the way, my sister asked me to made nuggets for my twins niece and nephew once i visiting her house in Jakarta. The frozen nuggets a quicky snack and also main dish that she could prepare before going to work. My sister said that my niece is pretty sick of chicken nugget, then i thought that i’m going to make salmon nuggets once i checked the freezer and found three pieces of salmon fillet.
Making salmon nugget recipe is actually easy, but quite an effort to following. There are several steps; making the nugget, breaded and then deep frying. When you making salmon nugget as a finger food or apptizer at your party, trust me that all the efforts will be paid off once the juicy and meaty salmon nugget will be swifted as fast as snapping your finger. That’s why i used to made salmon nugget in a large quantity and freeze it in a portioning vaccum plastic bag. I used to baked or deep fry it in the morning as a breakfast supper before going to my clinic.
There are several method making salmon nugget, the simplest method is breaded chuncky salmon fillet just like salmon tempura, but i didn’t like it because the i can’t spiced the salmon goodly, beside my niece and nephew did’t like the flaky salmon meat texture. They love the salmon nugget texture like a meatball, soft but bounchy. The salmon nugget batter used to steamed first until firm to make it easier to cut and breadede, but you can directly shaped the salmon nugget batter with two spoons and then rolled into the breadcrumbs. The unsteamed salmon nugget or sometimes called salmon cake is better be for direct consumption. The frozen raw salmon nugget batter is not cruncy but soggy once you deep fried it, beside the inner side of the nugget possibly still raw.
You can replace the breadcrums with cornflakes, rolled oats or even thinly sliced almond or another nuts to made a salmon nugget variation. Another version is using finely chopped or grated veggies that mixed into the salmon nugget batter. I like to add grated carrot, cauliflower, broccoli and sometimes bell pepper, beside you can add cheese and any herbs & spice that you like. Nothing more comforting than your homemade nugget since you can add a little of this and that to suits your own personal licking. One most important thing is you know exactly the ingredients inside yours salmon nugget.
Homemade Salmon Nugget Recipe:
- 500 grams skinless salmon fillet
- 3 eggs(seperate the white and the yolk)
- 2 cups or more bread crumbs
- 1/2 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil for stir frying
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil in a pan, saute the onion, shallots and garlic until browned and caramelized, set aside
- Put the salmon fillet, egg yolk, salt and pepper in the food processor, process until nearly smooth
- Put the processed salmon mixture in a bowl, add the sauteed onion mixture and all flour
- Season with salt and pepper and mix it well
- Put the salmon nugget mixture in a plastic bag or baking tray, spread it evenly
- Steam the salmon nugget batter until firm and throughly cooked
- Cut the salmon nugget into bite size
- Dredge the salmon nugget into beaten white egg
- Dip and toss the nugget with the bread crumbs until all side is covered
- Set aside the breaded salmon nugget and shake to losen the excess breadcrumbs
- Deep fried or baked the salmon nugget until golden brown
- You can freeze the breaded salmon nugget in an airthight container
You May Also Like: