Slow Oven Roasted Baby Goat Leg with Spicy Harissa and Herbs, Red Potato, Chayote and Whole Bulb of Garlic. The baby goat or cabrito leg rubbed and marinated overnight with spicy Middle Eastern harissa chili paste, rosemarry, thyme and a little bit of Indian garam masala powder until the spices penetrated well into the meat. The marinated mutton leg then slowly roasted in the low temperature oven until all the succulent meat breakdown and easily to separate with fork. This is not my first low temperature slow roasted cooking, i’ve made Slow Roasted Beef Ribs with Garam Masala Recipe using a cheap and lean beef ribs then turn it into a very hearthy and lovely tender meat.
I’m using baby goat leg on this recipe, baby or young goat also called cabrito, capretto, or kid. The 3 months old baby goat is milk-fed which had a very mild gamey flavour with tender, succulent and also flavourfull meat. In Indonesia, we used to called baby goat as kambing batibul, batibul stand for bawah tiga bulan or literrary translated as under three months old goat. The bone-in baby goat leg weight is about 1 1/2 pounds, it’s quite tiny lil leg, but i guess it’s good enough to served two hungry tummy or maybe three anorexic diet chicks, infact i can enjoy it myself for dinner. The harissa and herbs marinated roasted kid goat accompanied with cubed red potato and chayote.
Making oven roasted baby goat leg is so easy. Cabrito or baby goat had a pale pinkish color meat with a mild gamey aromas. Roasting or grilling baby goat is a little bit tricky, i’ve been told that baby goat is more easily throughly cooked due to high water content and low fat content. So, the baby goat or cabrito is a healthy choice of red meat, but the low ratio of fat within the meat made the baby goat leg easily dry out in high heat cooking technique. That’s why you need to kept attention on temperature when dealing with baby goat meat. The best way to cooking the young goat is slow cooking in low temperature for very long period. Properly cooked baby goat leg could be turn out into a very tender and juicy meat.
This is my first baby goat recipe and i guess i really like it. I already cooked baby lamb leg before and made it into Grilled Baby Lamb Leg with Sambal Matah (Balinese Raw Shallot and Chillies Spicy Salsa). Baby goat and baby lamb meat is actually quite similliar, but i prefer baby goat because it’s more flavoursome and moist than baby lamb meat.
The baby goat leag is marinated with spicy harissa and herbs overnight. Harissa is roasted hot chili pepper paste that bleanded with spices and herbs such as garlic paste, coriander seed,cumin and caraway and cooked in vegetable oil. Harissa is a very popular spices and condiments in Middle Eastern (especially Tunisia). You can find it in Middle Eastern groceries store and sometimes in Indian supermarket too, but if you want to made harissa from scratch you can find the easyand simple recipe here
The harissa and herbs marinated baby goat or cabrito leg seared with a little bit of oil until browned and charred. The remaining harissa spices that stick in the botton of the pan then glazed and scrapped with a litle bit of white wine. The lamb leg than laid in a roasting pan with a bulb of garlic, cubed red potato and chayote, then i poured the deglazed white wine juice and arranged some halved green cayenne pepper over the goat and vegetables. The roasting pan then covered with heavy duty alumunium foil to locked out the moisture. The harissa and herbs marinated baby lamb leg with potato and chayote then roasted for 10 hours in a 120°C oven. After the goat leg slowly roasted for 10 hours, the alumunium foil dicarded and let it roasted uncovered in 250°C for about 20-30 minutes. This is how you slow cooked baby goat or cabrito correctly.
What would you expecting from a 10 hours roasted mild gamey young baby goat or cabrito until melting in mouth tender with spicy and hot roasted chili pepper harissa spice ? it’s simply DAMN DELICIOUS. I even guess it’s a great option for ladies who didn’t like too strong goat flavour and aromas.
I’m a very mutton person, i mean i can’t kept my mental balance unless i had one portion of mutton every single week. here some of my favourite mutton (lamb and goat) recipes;
- Recipe Mutton Vindaloo Curry with Lamb and Goat Shank, Potato and Jackfruit (Kari Kambing India dengan Kentang dan Nangka Muda)
- Resep Sate Buntel Kambing Solo (Spicy Lamb Kebab Wrapped in Caul Fat Recipe)
- Smoked Lamb Rack with PORCINI Mushrooms Crusted, Saffron Polenta and Cherry Tomato Sauce
- Lamb & Goat Mandi Rice (Arabian Spicy Roasted Lamb and Goat Meat Served Over Saffron Infused Basmati Rice)
- Grilled Baby Lamb Leg with Sambal Matah (Balinese Raw Shallot and Chillies Spicy Salsa)
- Slow Roasted Lamb Leg Steak with Barbecue Sauce
- Pistachio Crusted Lamb Chop/Rack with Feta Cheese & Spinach Stuffing
- Lamb Tikka Masala with Spicy Yoghurt Dipping Sauce and Indian Bread (Roti)
- Braised Lamb Shank with Baked White/ Navy Bean and Red Kidney Bean
- Braised Lamb Shank with Tomato and Chillies, served with Carrot Purée and Basil Oil ala Dentist Chef
- Lamb Biryani Rice Recipe(Middle East Style) / Resep Nasi Biryani Arab
- Szechuan Style Lamb Skewer with Indonesian Peanut Satay Sauce (Resep Sate Kambing Sichuan Bumbu Kacang)
- Goat Head Curry/ Gulai Kepala Kambing
- Pan Seared Lamb Chop with Cumin Crusted Recipe,served with Tomato Concase and Butter Garlic Couscous
Recipe Slow Roasted Baby Goat Leg (Cabrito or Kid Mutton) with Harissa and Herbs, Red Potato and Chayote:
- 1 baby goat leg or cabrito or kid mutton (about 1 1/2- 2 pounds)
- 2 tbsp harissa (Middle East spicy roasted chili pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp mix herbs (rosemarry, thyme, oregano and basil)
- 1 tsp Homemade Garam Masala Spice
- 6 green cayenne chili pepper, halved
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for searing
- 1 chayote, peeled, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine (or stock) for deglazing
How to Slow Roasted baby Goat leg with Harissa and Herbs:
- Coat the baby goat leg generously with the harissa, herbs, salt and pepper on both sides. Place the leg in a shallow bowl pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Take out the harissa and herbs marinated baby goat or kid leg from the fridge and bring it to room temperature, heat up the vegetable oil in a pan and sear the goat leg until browned and charred, set aside
- Pour the white wine to deglaze the remaining harissa spice and scrapped off the sticking part from the bottom of the pan, simmer until the moisture evaporated and let it simmer into half ammount
- Arrange the harissa marinated baby goat or cabrito leg in the middle of the roasting pan and put the potato, bulb of garlic and chayote surround it, seasoned with salt and pepper, pour the reduced white wine and then put the halved green cayenned pepper all over the meat and vegetables
- Cover the roasting pan with heavy duty alumunium foi and roasted it for about 10 hours in 120°C preheated oven.
- Discard the alumunium foil then increased the heat to 250°C for about 20-30 minutes
- Baste the baby goat leg meat with the dripping juices every 10 minutes
- Let the harissa marinated baby goat leg rest for about 10 minutes before carving into it.