Resep Tinutuan, bubur khas Manado. Tinutuan or bubur manado, a Manadonese or Minahasan rice-based porridge with various kinds of vegetables. Common carbohidrate for making tinutuan is corn, cassava or yuca, pumpkin, potato, sweet potato, but some ‘ people also love to add carrot, taro root, beet root and many more. While the common green leafy vegetables for tinutuan is amaranth that usually missed known as spinach, melinjo leaves (Gnetum gnemon), kangkoong or water spinach, cassava leaves, daun gedi (Hibiscus Manihot L) and daun leliem (Clerodendrum minahassae L). Those plenty of vegetables were packed with fragrance herbs called daun kemangi or lemon basil leaves. Etimology of the word tinutuan is still uncear, but some of my Minahasan descent friends told me that tinutuan refers as combo or mixed all together meals. Tinutuan porridge is well known as one of the Manado city iconic signature dish.
Authentic tinutuan or bubur Manado contain daun gedi (Hibiscus Manihot L) or locally known as sayur yondok in Minahasan language. This plants well known as edible hibiscus in most western country, lagikuway in Philliphine, and po fai in Thailand. Daun gedi or edible hibiscus leaves may look like a cassava leaves, but daun gedi got narrower in the base of the leaves, but it’s broader and resembles as an arrow in the end. What makes this common looks leaves special is simply because daun gedi got pectin polysaccharides, which is a natural gelling agent that could thickening the vegetables porridge broth, just like what commoly found on lady fingers or okra. i was lucky enought found daun gedi plants planted in a side yard of a tiny authentic Menadonese restaurant nearby Hermina Hospital Jatinegara with a tiny signboard “Rumah Makan Masakan Manado”. This authentic Menadonese or Minahasan restaurant served Ikan Woku Belanga (Manadonese Spicy Fish Curry Soup), Garo Bunga Pepaya (Papaya Blossom with Smoked Skipjack Tuna Fish) and many more, beside they got rica-rica rw (pronounced erwe) or spicy stewed dog meat, yup you didn’t miss readed it, dog meat is a part of Minahasan ethnic cuisine.
Tinutuan or Bubur Manado is usually served as a morning supper, with additional side and condiments such as ikan asin goreng (deep fried salted fish), sambal terasi (fermented shrimp chilli sauce), and bawang goreng (deep fried red shallots). Beside, in Manado they used to served tinutuan with Sambal Dabu-Dabu (Manadonese Raw Chilli Salsa), shredded ikan cakalang fufu (smoked skipjack tuna), and sambal roa (smoked garfish sambal). But i guess the must have condiment for tinutuan is deep fried salted fish and Sambal Dabu-Dabu.
I’m using short grain brown rice that i’m soaked 30 minutes prior to cooking for making this tinutuan or bubur manado,. Contrary to the commonly tinutuan with pale yellowish green color, i love to brighter my porridge with reddish color by adding peruvian purple sweet potato and also purple sticky sweet corn. Sticky sweet corn itself didn’t had intens sweet flavour like commonly yellow sweet corn, but it’s pretty glutinous. Both brown rice and sticky sweet corn needed more time to cook compare to all of the ingredients, that’s why those ingredients must be boiled first and then follow with other root vegetables and yellow sweet corn. Five minutes before the porridge is done, throw away all the green leaves and turn off the heat and let the remaining heat cook the leaves. Since i love to taste every single ingredients, i used to cut my ingredients into a chucky bits.
Tinutuan or Bubur Manado is a very healthy vegetarian porridge, just look at the enermous ammount of vegetables for serving about 4 portion of Bubur Manado in the photograph above. You can apply the recipe at your home for sure, you can made it in your slow cooker or your rice cooker. Just put the root ingredients into the rice cooker on the night before, mixed the green vegetabes firstly in the morning and then served it as a healty and tasty breakfast, does it sounds pretty easy??? but if you insist to cooked it above the stove like me, you must carefully stir it constantly to prevent the rice singking in the bottom of the pan and got burned. Heavy bottom non-sticky sauce pan would be the best options for making rice porridge.
Resep Tinutuan Bubur Manado (Menadonese Vegetables Rice Porridge Recipe) :
- 1 cup of rice (i’m using short grain brown rice, soaked 30 minutes prior to cooking, drained)
- 1 cup yellow sweet corn (Jagung Manis)
- 1 cup purple sticky sweet corn (Jagung Ungu)
- 1 cup diced purple sweet potatoes (Ubi Ungu)
- 1 cup diced cassava or yuca root (Singkong)
- 1 cup diced sweet potato (Ubi Kuning)
1 cup diced pumpkin (Labu Kuning)
- 1 cup diced carrot (Wortel)
- 1 cup roughly chopped daun gedi (you can replace this with okra or okra leaves)
2 cup roughly chopped amaranth or spinach leaves (Daun Bayam)
- 1 cup roughly chopped kangkoong or water spinach leaves (Daun Kangkung)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cassava leaves (Daun Singkong)
1/2 cup roughly chopped melinjo leaves (Daun Melinjo)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped sweet potato leaves (Daun Ubi Rambat)
1/2 cup lemon basil leaves (Daun Kemangi)
3 liters water or Roasted Bone Stock Recipe
2 bay leaves (Daun Salam)
- 1/2 tsp Homemade Garam Masala (Bumbu Kari)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cara membuat Bubur Manado atau Tinutuan (Instruction):
- Put the water or Roasted Bone Stock, rice and purple sticky corn and bay leaves into a heavy bottom sauce pan, bring it to boil
- Once it boil, simmer and cover the pan with lid for about 10-15 minutes
- Add the sweet corn, cassava, sweet potato, pumpkin and carrot. bring it to boil and lower the heat into simmer, gently and constatly stir the porridge with wooden spatula to prevent the ingredients singking in the bottom of the pan and burned out
- Season the bubur manado with salt and pepper and continue to stir it
- Once the rice and all the ingredients is tender enought, put all the greens leafy vegetables, bring the porridge to boil again
- Turn off the heat and let the remaining heat cooked the vegetables
- Serve it warm with ikan asin and Sambal Dabu-Dabu