Grilled lobster with spicy chilli sauce was a very popular seafood dish all over the world. No one could resist the sweet and succulent lobster or cryfish meat with a kick’in spicy chilli based sauce if you had’t any allergic of it. Well, actually this is common seafood preparation across Indonesia since we love hot and spicy dish. The amount of chilli sauce for dressing the lobster must be balanced, you don’t wanna ovepowering the lobster flavour.
Crayfish or Freshwater Lobster– also called crawfish or crawdads – are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are related; taxonomically, they are members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea. They breathe through feather-like gills and are found in bodies of water that do not freeze to the bottom. They are mostly found in brooks and streams where there is fresh water running, and which have shelter against predators.
The common yabby, Cherax destructor, is an Australian freshwater crustacean in the Parastacidae family. It is listed as a vulnerable species of crayfish by the World Conservation Union (IUCN), though the validity of this listing is questionable; wild yabby populations remain strong, and have expanded into new habitats created by reservoirs and farm dams. But for today appetizer, i use the farm raised, usually the lobster sell to a aquarium lover as pets.
Spicy Lobster Sauce Recipe :
- 1 big freshwater lobster, mine was about 10 inch long, cleaned, butterfly cut, but not throughly
- Spicy chillies sauce:
- 3 red bird eye chillies, chopped
- 1 green long chilli, chopped
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine/ liquor
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt n pepper to taste
- Pat dry the lobster, springkle with honesly salt n pepper, set aside
- Heat olive oil in a frypan, saute garlic, shallot and chillies until fragrant
- Add the rice wine, oyster sauce and lime juice.
- Spread the sauce all over the butterly cut lobster
- Grilled about 3-5 minutes in a medium fire grill
- Served with copped cashew nuts and chopped black olives.
- Voila, your great appetizer is now ready