Grilled spicy chicken wrapped in betel leaves is a Vietnamese inspired recipe, the inspirational authentic version called Bo La Lot using ground or minced spiced beef and wrapped with wild betel (Piper Sarmentosum) before grilled. The minced beef seasoned with a plenty of spice and herbs like lemongrass, scallion, ginger, chili and drizzled with fish sauce like commonly vietnamese cuisine. Instead using wild betel leaves or daun cabe jawa or daun kadok, i’m using betel leaves (Piper Betle) or daun sirih in Bahasa Indonesia with a strong pungent tea and peppery hint when the leaves grilled over the charcoal or frying pan.
Vietnamese Grilled Chicken with lemongrass recipe using betel leaf. Betel plants originated from Southeast Asia and has been cultivated for thousands of years. Betel leaves extracted for its antioxidants and active enzimes and used for medicinal healing, stimulants, cosmetic industries, gargle solutions and even breath fresheners. In dentistry, beside the medicinal purpose of betel leaves extract, the execessive routine use like chewing betel with areca nuts clinically proven provoked a benign oral tumor and lead to malignant oral cancer. Fortunately, this practice was rarely seen but on the elder persons like our grandparents era. All parts of the betel plant are edible, but the young leaves is preferred for direct consumptions for it’s tender texture and milder flavour.
Betel leaves is edible and used to be a wrapper for grilling meats or seafood. To prepare the betel leaves for wrapped the seasoned chicken, you should defrost (if using the frozen) and clean it from any debris first, then lay it with glossy side facing down. Spoon out a tablespoon full of meat near the end of the leaves and shape accordingly. Roll the base over making sure that the length of the meat doesn’t exceed the width of the leaf and roll it out. Once the roll is come to the base of the betel leaf stem, carefully puncture in the middle of the the leaves with a toothpick to insert it’s stems and secure the end of the roll.
Grilled chicken in betel leaved wrapped is usually served by it’self or alongside with dipping sauce, typically nuoc nam or sweet and sour sauce, peanut sauce or kicking Tuong Ot Xa or Vietnamese chilli and lemongrass sauce. You can served it with noodle soup, or thinly sliced and topped over vermicelly or nasi goreng. Beside, i like to use the betel leaves wrapped chicken as a ‘sausage’ that suits for stir frying with vegggies like bean sprout, carrot and also with tofu.
I love almost echnic and traditional food like this, one of my fellow friends said that i had an international taste buds.From the most western to the most eastern ethnic ingredient, from homemade charcuterie to fermented durian (tempoyak). I love fancy plating of daily dish to the rarest and finest spice and herbs, somehow i bring so much fun of foraging (in the real nature world) to surfing on internet to bring the closely-authentic dish. Well, the truth is i’m happy to surprised my fellow readers with my upcoming recipes. Just like my Vietnamese Inspired Recipe: Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Wrapped in Betel Leaves
Grilled Chicken Wrapped in Betel Leaves Vietnamese Recipe:
- 1 package of fresh or frozen betel leaves (about 20-30 leaves)
- 2 tbsp oil for pan frying or grilling
- 250 gr minced chicken meat (you can also use beef, pork or a mixture)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 2 lemon grass (use only the soft white inner part), finely minced
- 1 stalk scallion, finely minced
- 2 cayenne/ chili pepper, deseeded, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- salt, sugar and white peppercorn powder to taste
- In a large bowl, combine chicken meat with garlic, shallots, lemongrass,scallion, chilli, fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar, pepper and salt and mix well and set aside in fridge and prepare leaves.
- Put the glossy side of the betel leaf down and tablespoon full of meat near the end of the leave and shape accordingly. Roll the base over making sure that the length of the meat doesn’t exceed the width of the leaf.
- Once the roll is come to the base of the betel leaf stem, carefully puncture in the middle of the the leaves with a toothpick and insert it’s stems and secure the end of the roll
- When you finish rolling several, fixed the roll by inserting two metal or bambo skewer in ech end of the rolled spice chicken just like making a kebab
- You can pan frying, broil or even baked it until done
- Discard the skewer and served the Vietnamese Grilled Chicken Wrapped in Betel Leaves with Tuong Ot Xa or Vietnamese chilli and lemongrass sauce