Resep Kepiting Asap Bumbu Pedas,Barbequed Spicy Crab Wrapped in Banana Leaves Recipe. Kepiting asap is literrary translated as smoked crab in English. Kepiting asap also called kepiting bakar, a very popular crab dish in Indonesia. Gigantic mud crab stir fried with spicy and hot shrimp paste chili sambal, wrapped in banana leaves into a parcel and then grilled over high heat charcoal until the banana leaves charred and blistered to provoked smoke and let the smokey aromas infused into the crab flesh. The blakish brown curry-like seasoning or bumbu bakar kepiting asap for the smoked crab is very rich and savoury from fermented shrimp paste, ground dried shrimp and cuttlefish, i can even compare it with Chinese XO Sauce. Every restaurant chef had it’s own secret recipes, but for sure i will to share my version of kepiting asap secret recipes.
Resep bumbu kepiting asap or smokey barbequed crab contain chilies, shallot, garlic, ginger, turmeric, candlenuts, curry powder or Homemade Indian Garam Marsala Powder, galangal, lemongrass, toasted corriander seed, fermented shrimp paste, dried cuttlefish and shrimp alongside fragrance leavy ingredients like daun jeruk purut (kaffir limes leaves), daun salam (Indonesian bay leaves) and daun kunyit (turmeric leaves). The spice paste for spicy barbequed mud crab in banana leaves is actually a chili sambal, similiar to sambal belachan, but it’s also contain either santan (heavy coconut milk) or ground toasted grated old coconut called kelapa sangrai tumbuk. So basically i think the spice paste for kepiting bakar asap is a fusion of Shrimp Paste Chili Sambal with Beef Rendang seasoning with a little touch of kecap manis or Indonesian sweet soy sauce to balance the spiciness and the hotness flavour. I’m using both of santan and kelapa sangrai for this recipe, simply because i don’t wanna spent my calories limitation on crappy food.
Kepiting asap or spicy barbequed crab in banana leaves gain the popularity in the last decade, as far as i know it’s served eversince many live seafood restaurant mushrooms all over the Indonesian Cities, that’s why i think why my fellow colleagues considering to take cardiovascular recidency programs, lol. Way before kepiting asap become a staple menu on every seafood restaurant, my grandma actually used to prepared not only crab but also chicken, freshwater giant prawn, and squid. My grandma also used to wrapped Ikan Mas Arsik or Spicy Andaliman Pepper Stewed Grasscarp Fish with banana leaves and then grilled it over coconut husk charcoal, guess what; she is a very healthy and active 82 years old lady.
Banana leaves wrapped spicy crab ia a very representative of Indonesian cuisine. Banana leaf is a very versatile ingredients in Indonesian traditional kitchen. Banana leaves used to be a platter for serving food, wrapped food before cooking process either for steaming or grilling. The epidermis cuticle in the upper side of the banana leaf, preserved the food moisture while cooking and it had special features works like a non sticking teflon that prevent food burned out and sticking while grilling. Banana leaves usually wrapped raw ingredients that usually seasoned first before cooked. There’s so many banana leaf recipe in Indonesian and South East Asian cuisine, this is few of the recipes that featured in my blog :
- Pepes Ikan tempoyak, steamed fish with spicy fermented durian paste using banana leaves as a wrapper
- Nasi Bakar (Grilled Rice), seasoned rice and also loaded with many savoury proteins like chicken, beef or salted fish
- Grilled Sanma Fish in Banana Leaf with Spicy Miso and Chilli Sauce Recipe
- Sambal Stingray (Grilled Stingray-Skate with Chili Barbeque Sauce) from Malaysia
Beside banana leaves, i always obsesed using many kind of leaves for wrapping my dishes, including;
- Ayam pengemis or Beggar Chicken Recipe using taro leaves
- Lo Mai gai or Sticky-Glutinous Rice Parcel using lotus leaves
- Lotus Leaves Steamed Crab with Fermented Black Bean Sauce
- Bo la Lot or Grilled Chicken Wrapped in Betel Leaves
Kepiting Asap or barbequed spicy chili sambal crab in banana leaves requires quite an effort to prepares at home. The bursting of fragrance leavy, smokey and spicy aromas of steam coming out when i open the banana leaves parcel and that’s the moment of truth of you should cross your fingers above your head, but before that moment you should leard how to made the kepiting bakar asap bumbu pedas. The raw mud crab is usually steamed or deep fried first then stir fried with the bumbu kepiting asap or specia cooked spicy sambal sauce. The crab is actually ready to eat, but the kepiting asap needed the authentic pungent aromatic leavy and smokey aromas so then the crab is wrapped into parcel with banana leaves then grilled over charcoal until the outside layer of banana leaves blistered and charred. After few seconds or a minutes over charcoal, the smokey flavour is throughly infused on the spicy seasoned crab, no need no proloonged grilling times because the crab is already done unless the crab will be overcooked.
I’m using 1.2 kg kepiting Papua jantan or live local male mud crab from Papua Island. The clawn is pretty huge and the meat is very firm, sweet and succulent. Totally worth every cent, it cost me less than 10 USD, pretty great deal compare to the restaurantthat usually tagged it about 35-40 USD per kilo. The square platter that i use in the photograph was about 12 inches or 30 cm long, just look how huge the clawn compare to the plate. This spicy crabs recipe is really not an option for your diets due to tons of calories instead you willing to paid it off with move your butt out in a treadmill.
Once again i said this kepiting asap is DAMN DELICIOUS, i even think it’s even worthed as my last meal. The succulent sweetness of of the crab with a kick of creamy hot chili and spices then burst with leafy refreshing fragrance of banana leaves, kaffir lime leaves and turmeric leaves that infused with smoky aromas. Please visit asian groceries store in nearby, banana leaves usually sold fresh of frozen, the fresh is preferred,but the frozen banana leaves also work well with this recipe. If you can’t find any banana leaves, you can replace it with turmeric, ginger, lotus or taro leaves.
Resep Kepiting Asap Bumbu Pedas Bungkus Daun Pisang:
Banana Wrapped Crab with Spicy Chili and Fermented Shrimp Paste Sambal Barbeque
- 1 kepiting jantan ukuran besar, (huge mud crab, about 1-1.5 kg)
- 1 air jeruk purut/nipis (kaffir lime juice to marinate the crab)
- daun pisang (banana leaves), for wrapping the crab
- heavy duty alumunium foil#optional
- 1/2 sendok makan daun kunyit (tablespoon of shredded turmeric leaves)
- 1 sendok makan daun jeruk purut (tablespoon of kaffir lime leaves, julienned)
- 1 daun salam (Indonesian bay Leaves)
- 2 cup Bumbu Kepiting Asap (Spicy Chili-Shrimp Paste Sambal Barbequed Crab Sauce)
- Curled Sliced Chilies
- Curled Sliced Scallion
Cara Membuat Kepiting Bakar/Asap Bumbu Pedas
(How To Make Barbequed Spicy Crab Wrapped in Banana Leaf)
- Brush the mud crab with a teeth brush to remove the remaining mud and debris,discard the gills and clean it under running water
- Marinade the crab with kaffir lime juice and salt
- Deep fried or steam the crab for about 2 minutes until partially cooked
- Heat up the oil in a wok pan, then stir fried the spice paste chili sambal for about 1 minutes
- Add the turmeric leaves, salam leaves and the kaffir lime leaves, stir another 30 seconds
- Add the crab and stir fried another 2 minutes
- Put the seasoned crab over few layered banana leaves and then wrap it into a parcel like an envelope
- Secure the banana leaves crab parcel with toothpick, butcher’s twines or the fibers from the banana leaves
- You can use heavy duty alumunium foil for further wrapped the banana leaf crab parcel before grilling it
- Grilled it over high heat charcoal or stove flame to provoke smoke until the ouside layer or the banana leaves is slighly burned, blistered and charred for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Open the banana leaves wrapped crab in front of the dinner guess with scissors
- Garnish and serve immediately.
Resep Bumbu Kepiting Asap Pedas:
Chili Sambal Barbeque Sauce Recipe for Smoked Crab Wrapped in Banana Leaves Recipe:
- 50 gr cabe merah keriting (cayenne chili pepper)
- 50 gr cabe rawit merah (bird eye chili pepper)
- 100 gr bawang merah (shallots)
- 50 gr bawang putih (garlic)
- 15 gr jahe (ginger)
- 15 gr lengkuas (galangal)
- 15 gr kunyit (turmeric)
- 5 gr ketumbar sangrai (toasted corriander seed)
- 10 gr kemiri (candlenuts)
- 5 gr bubuk kari India (Homemade Indian Garam Marsala Powder)
- 100 ml santan (coconut cream)
- 30 gr bubuk kelapa sangrai (ground toasted grated coconut)
- 3 sereh, hanyak bagian putih (lemongrass, use the tender white part only)
- 5 gr asam jawa (tamarind paste)
- 15 g terasi or belacan (fermented shrimp paste)
- 30 gr ebi/udang kering (dried shrimp)
- 30 gr cumi kering/juhi (dried cuttlefish or squid)
- 30 gr gula merah, sisir (palm sugar, roughly chopped)
- 20 ml minyak sayur (vegetable oil)
- 10 ml kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Make Chili Sambal Barbeque Sauce for Smoked Crab in Wrapped Banana LeavesRecipe
- Put all the ingredients except the kecap manis and olive oil in a food processor and grind it into a fine paste
- Stir-fry sambal paste with vegetable oil over medium heat untill fragrant, the oil is separated from the chili paste and the colour is darkens, about 15 minutes .
- Add the kecap manis and season it with salt and pepper, adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Turn off the heat and your homemade chili sambal barbeque sauce is ready to use.