Claypot chicken and sea cucumber is one of popular health booster dish for chinese descent in my hometown. The chicken is simmered for couple of hours to make an earthy broth. Since my sister is still relieving from delivering a baby, i made this kinda food everydaysw with diffrent ingredient that contains tons of collagen and also albumin protein. Instead of chicken and sea cucumber, you can use a beef or pork tendon, knuckle for collagen source and marble goby fsh, snake head fish fillet or even white egg for albumin sources. Collagen and albumin is a protein that responsible for wound healing, in this case the would from delivering a baby or newly giving birth mother. Here several recipe for health and lactating or early giving birth mother that i’ve been posted before:
- Braised Sea Cucumber with Abalone, Duck Feet and Mushrooms in Superior Stock
- Hongkong Style Steamed Fish with Egg White and Ginkgo Biloba Nuts, Jeonbokjuk: Korean ABALONE Porridge ala Dentist Chef,
- Steamed Marble Goby Fish with Preserved Fermented Soybean (Tauco/Miso) Paste
- Steamed Chicken with Fermented Black Bean & Mushroom
- Resep Steamed Marble Goby with Ginger & Garlic Paste (Ikan Malas Betutu Tim/Steam Bawang Putih) ala Dentist Chef
- Stewed Fish Maw With Oyster Sauce and Enoki & Wood Ear Mushrooms
- Beggar Chicken / Ayam pengemis : Chinese New Year Recipes ala Dentist Chef
If you purchased the dried sea cucumber, you must to rehydrate or soaking it first. You can read the instruction How to Soaking and Preparing Dried Sea Cucumber or Haisom (Cara Mengolah Teripang / Haisom Kering from my previous post. They are a kind of sea food that is of high nutritious value. Though they live in the sea, the sea cucumber is of a warm-tonifying nature. Similar to ginseng in this regard, they are called Haisom (Haysem) hai means sea and som means ginseng. Haisom or sea cucumber is considered as a nutritious food from the the sea in Chinese descent community. Sea Cucumbers are a type of high-protein, low-fat, and low-cholesterol seafood. They have essence-replenishing, blood-nourishing, skin-moistening, complexion-beautifying, and anti-aging properties. In particular, they are beneficial to elderly people.For the stock, you can use a homemade superior stock. You should deep fried the egg tofu until the skin is crisp before put it to the claypot, this would made the tofu skin is absorb the superior broth flavour. In Indonesia, we used to called this as sapo tahu ayam dan haisom.
Eversince my sister delivering my lovely nephew, my mom cook a thin broth soup or consomme every single day. This made my sister literrary tired of it. She ask me then to make a thick and rich in flavour soup. This sapo tahu or claypot tofu is contains kampung or malay chicken chunck, sliced sea cucumber, egg tofu, veggies and chinese dried sausage or lap chiong. Well, actually the cured meat like dried chinese sausage is not a good option for my sister, but she forced me to addded that for the broth flavour.
Claypot of chicken, tofu, sea cucumber and mushrooms recipe:
- 1 whole kampung or malay chicken, cut into bite size
- 2 @ 200 gr Rehydrated/Prepared Dried Sea Cucumber, cut into a bite size chunck
- 2 pack @ 200 gr egg tofu, cut into bite size, deep fried, drained (my sister prefer not deep fried)
- 6 cloves garlic, bruished, coarsely chopped
- 1 dried chillies, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 dried chinese sausage/ lap chiong(cheung), thinly sliced
- 2 large dried chinese mushrooms/ shiitake mushrooms, soaked, cut into bite size
- 3 dried hioko/ chinese mushroom, soaked, quartered lengthwisely
- 1 dried woodear mushroom, soaked, cut 1 inch lengthwisely
- Veggies(cauliflower, carrot etc), blanched, drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp premium oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp corn starch, dissolved with 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ang ciu/rice cooking wine
- 3 L Superior Stock
garnish: mung bean sprout, chopped chieves,spring onion and chilies
How to Cook Chicken, Tofu and Sea Cucumber Claypot:
- Heat up the 1 tbsp oil in a claypot, add the garlic and chicken chunck and let it browned a little bit
- Add the chinese sausage, mushrooms and chopped chilli, saute another 2 minutes
- Add the prepared sea cucumber, pour the superior stock and rice wine, bring it to boil
- Add the tofu and simmer with your lowest flame for about 2-3 hours until the stock is reduced and the chicken is tender.
- Nearly done, add the veggies, sesame oil
- Thicken the gravy with dissolve corn starch and add the sesame oil for last touch
- Served with the garnish
This looks so good! And it’s very nice to cook it for your sister!
Interesting addition of lap cheong inside this claypot dish. Looking so delish i’m drooling!
Wow, looks yummy ito! Selamat atas kelahiran ponakan ya 🙂
You always have some really fancy ingredients in the pantry. The claypot looks so delicious.
The food here always looks like it came from an upscale restaurant!
Togenya unik panjang-panjang banget. Kalau aku pengen ayamnya aja sptnya lezatt sekali :).
akhirnya ada jugayg realize klo togenya itu”fine dining micro greens” style….hehehe
Tofu tofu tofu, this looks so tasty 😀
Choc Chip Uru
Wow I can imagine already eating them piping hot, thats a really nice dish
How wonderful that you’re looking after your Sister like this! I can only imagine how fantastic this dish must smell after your remove the claypot’s lid.
Oh just lovely! I’m constantly craving soups, and this ethnic soup sounds just totally divine. I’m also expecting a baby in December and will be needing my own collagen-boosting foods soon. I’m going to check out all those recipes!
togenya lucu panjangpanjang..
Not sure why but I have never really been able to take to tofu – I think it might be a texture thing although I must say your dish looks delicious.
Congratulations uncle. Haha, dipaksa pake sosis ya? 😉
What a wonderful dish!
Congratulations to your sister and to you for making this delicious dish for her!
It’s so nice of you to take care of your sister with a comforting dish like this!
mas serem banget togenya wakaka
this looks great and i need a pot like this 🙂 hope you get the chance to go to Sweden one day hugs
That’s really sweet of you looking after your Sister.. Dish looks nice and lovely.. I’m a new blogger… Do visit my blog.. http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/
What a truly amazing dish! What an unusual combination of flavours! i would have never have thought of these flavours that they would be so great together! It really works, I see!!! Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! x
Dedy this looks really wonderful!