Smoking is the method of cooking to preserving food (meat, seafood, veggies,egg, tofu, etc) and flavouring food with smoke that produced by burning wood, rice, tea and any carbon containing materials. There are two major tipes of smoking: cold and hot smoking.
- Cold smoking can be done with smoking the food in low temperature, between 20 to 30 °C . This method is actually not cook the food, that’s why the food must be throughly cured first. The smoking flavour is penetrate the skin slowly and takes longer time.
- Hot smoking can be done with smoking the food in high temperature, between 50 to 80 °C . This method is cook the food, that’s why the food must hang or dried a little bit to form a pellicle first to prevent the food drained out. The smoking flavour is penetrate the food directly and takes less longer time.
Salmon is quite expensive seasoned fish, that’s why people want to smoking salmon fish to prevent it get ruined. Luckily, salmon had tons of fat on it, that’s make salmon is one of the best candidate to smoking technique. Smoke flavour is actually penetrate well in the fat rather than in the protein (flesh).
Today i’m gonna make homemade hot tea smoked salmon. Tea smoked salmon is actually the same preparation with Homemade Smoked Beef that i’ve made earlier, but i just changed the smoking flavour. Basic tea smoked salmon recipe is using tea for produced the smoke, not in the brining proccess. The best tea that suits for my licking is chinese black tea, but you can use any tea actually. Besides, i used szechuan peppercorn and delicated smells spice like star anise and cinnamon to enrich the smoke flavour.
For brining the salmon, i use honey, szechuan peppercorn, salt and soy sauce. Honey and salt function on brining is to reduce the moisture from the meat and penetrate the meat to give a nice flavouring like all szechuan peppercorn, chinese five spice and oyster sauce did. One of the most important step in hot smoking salmon is to make a pellicle/thin dried layer on the salmon to prevent any fat melted and moisture totally drained out on smoking. I choose to make this pellicle formed with putting the salmon on metal rack and set the air conditioner or fan in the higest winds as possible to expose the salmon sulface to drained the surface and make a perfect pellicle layer. Don’t forget to flip out the salmon and this process takes about 10= 15 minutes.
- 2 @250 gr salmon fish ( you can use fillet or steak cuts)
Tea Smoked agent:
- 2-3 tbsp chinese tea leaves
- a handfull of uncooked rice
- cinnamon, break into small pieces
- star anise, break into smal pieces
- 1 tbsp szechuan peppercorn
- 1 tbsp sugar
Homemade Smoked Salmon Curing Recipe:
- 1 tbsp ground salt
- 6 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp szechuan peppercorn, toasted, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ngo hiang (chinese five spice) powder
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
How to Make Smoked Salmon :
- Aplied all curing ingredient to the salmon fish, put in the fridge, cure for about 12 hours, flip it over every 2 hours.
- Pat dry the salmon, some people like to gently washed it with slow running water, but i prefer not to do it
- Put salmon into a metal rack.
- Set your fan or air conditioner into the higest and expose the fish directly to the winds for about 10 minute until the surface had a perfect dried pellicle layer
- Flip it once and expose it with the winds another 10 minutes.
- Wrap the salmon with alumuniun foil and freezer and let it rest to half frozen*optional
- Meanwhile, scatter the tea smoking angent in the bottom of the pot
- Set your stove to the highest flame until the smoke released from the pot, set it into the lower flame again
- Put a porcelain bowl/cup that filled with ice rock ( i made this the day before, this is to needed to lower the temperature a lil bit, then put in in the center of the pot
- Take a wire rack ( i lost mine, so i use a metal plate) then stage it above the frozen cup and close it with the glass cover.
- Let the salmon smoked for about 20 minutes, it depends on the thickness of your salmon
- Serve with herbs butter rice* and dragon fruit salad**
*Herbs Butterred Rice Recipe :
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp mixed italian herbs
- 300 gr freshly steamed rice
How to make herbs butterred rice:
- melt the butter in a heavy bottom pan, add the mixed italian herbs
- let is slightly boil, turn of the heat
- Mixed the herbs butter with the rice.
- keep warm before serving
**Dragon Fruit and Spinach Salad Recipe :
- 1/2 red dragon fruit, cut into pieces
- 1/2 white gragon fruit, cut into pieces
- 1/4 red onion, slice thinly
- 1 1/2 cup micro greens (combine peugaga, red and green spinach)
- edible flower
- white wine vinegar
- truffle oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make Dragon Fruit and Spinach Salad :
- Mix all ingredient in a glass bowl, toss all ingredient well
You May Also Like :
- Homemade Smoked Beef (Step by Step Recipe)/ Resep Cara Membuat Daging Asap
- Zhangcha / Tea Smoked Duck (Goose) Recipe with Homemade Plum Sauce ala Dentist Chef
- Pan Fried Barramundi Fillet with Creamy Green Peppercorn Sauce and Mashed Sweet Potato (Resep Kakap Putih & Saus Lada Hijau)
- Smoked Oyster Pasta Recipe ala Dentist Chef
- Confit d’Oie /Goose Confit Recipe Serve with Mashed Purple Sweet Potato, Cherry Tomato & Musrooms Confit
- Steamed Sea Scallop with Black Bean Sauce and Served with Rice Glass Vermicelli/ Bihoon
- Honey Blackpepper Deer Venison (Resep Rusa Madu Lada Hitam)
- Super Food: Black Garlic (Fermented) & Pan Seared Scallop ala Dentist Chef
- French Style Frog Leg with Sweet Potato Crusted, Creamy Chilli Saffron Sauce and Wasabi Mayonaise
- Pan Seared Marlin Fillet with Black Garlic,Chilli & Lemongrass Sauce, Balsamic Vinegar Reduction and Aglio Olio Pasta : Fine Dining Features Recipe
- Resep Pistachio Nuts Crusted Black Seabass Fish Fillet ala Dentist Chef
- Steamed Tiger Garoupa/Grouper with Tausi/ Fermented Black Bean and Egg Tofu (Resep Ikan Kerapu Tahu Tausi)
- Stewed Fish Maw With Oyster Sauce and Enoki & Wood Ear Mushrooms
- Grilled Cajun Style Tuna Steak with Creamy Dill Sauce ala Dentist Chef
- Stir Fried Giant Vermicelli with Crab (Resep Bihun Goreng Kepiting) ala Dentist Chef