Pan Seared Grouper Fish Fillet with Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe. Giant grouper or localy known as ikan kerapu kertang (Epinephelus lanceolatus) is on the season now in Indonesia. I’m totally didn’t want to missed a chance to digging into it’s succulent, white and firm flesh and taste it’s very sweet and savoury flavour. I spot the giant grouper fish fillet in the Diamond Supermarket Palembang while the fish monger try to split down the head into two equally portion. Each half of the giant grouper fish head weighed about 3 kg, can you imagine the weight of the goliath size grouper fish???
Once i had skinless grouper fillet, i love to seasoned my fish fillet before pan searing it in a sizzling hot skillet. I’m using my Homemade Garam Masala powder, turmeric powder, freshly ground black peppercorn and coarsed sea salt as a marinade, beside i drizzle some lemon juice into it. Actually, i atempt to make blackened grouper fish fIllet recipe by adding some paprika and chilli pepper powder into the marinade, just like a seasoning for my cajun style Blackened Salmon Fish Fillet, but eversince i was running out of paprika powder, i just skipped out that ingredients.
Making a cripy pan fried fish fillet is a little bit tricky, perfect searing in the skillet made the grouper fillet got crispy layerin the outside, while the flesh is still moist in the inside. Before making the pan seared grouper fillet, you should bring the fish fillet into chiller temperatur first if you handle frozen fish fillet. Pat dry any moisture from the thawing process and then marinade it with your preference seasoning for about 10-20 minutes in the refrigerator. Some liquid will be dripping off from the fillet once you finish marinating it, you should tap it with kitchen towel until all moisture are gone. Remaining dripping liquid and then fully loaded skillet made the grouper fish fillet steamed rather than seared into crisp, that’s why i patted it dry carefully and then seared the grouper fillet one by one.
Crispy pan seared grouper fish fillet recipe is easy. Stainless steel skillet is the best option for searing a fish fillet, never use teflon or any non-sticky pan or for searing fish fillet or you’ll get a pale and soggy pan fried fish fillet. Pour high smoke point oil like rice brand or grapeseed oil into the center of the hot pan, swirl it to coat the pan and let it geting smoking hot. Put the grouper fish fillets with the skin side or used to be skin side down. Turn the heat into medium low and dislodge the fish fillet a little bit by sliding or jiggling it once the fillet touch the sizzling smoking hot skillet. This step prevent the seared fillet stick with the pan. I’m using almost 3 inches grouper fillet, it’s need almost 5 minutes to reach half done. Your searing time depend on the thickness of your fish fillet, either you needed more or less than 5 minutes. The doneness of the fish fillet could be observed just by looking at the gradation beetween translucent and the opaque white zone in the fillet. Carefully flip the fish fillet with metal spatula and let it seared for another 2-3 minutes until the fish fillet is throughly cooked or until a fork is easily inserted into it. Now you can served the crispy pan seared fish fillet with your preference sauce laying in the bottom of it. I serving my pan seared grouper fish fillet with oven roasted tomato sauce.
Roasted tomato sauce for the pan seared grouper fillet made some kicking to the dish. Caramelized and charred roasted tomato bring a sweet and tangy flavour with a touch of smokey hint into the sauce. I also saved some of the roasted tomato as a side and garnish for plating the pan fried grouper fish fillet. I love the charred and caramelized vegetables all the way, beside tomato, i like to roast bell pepper and using it for my Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Recipe and sometimes i add some nuts, garlic and Homemade Sun Dried Tomato Recipe with it and making Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Sauce Recipe.
Making oven roasted tomato recipe is so easy to do. Simply cut the tomatoes in half horizontally, toss the tomatoes with olive oil and seasoning it with salt and black pepper evenly, then lay them with the cut side down in the oven tray. Use a big enough baking tray, so the tomatoes are not too crowded. You want room between them for the moisture to escape, which concentrates the tomato flavor. Bake for 45 minutes in 482ºF (250ºC), or until the tomatoes are completely softened and wilted, and start to wrinkle and some of the cut side tomato charred. The tomato may take longer to roast, depending on the size and the ammount of your tomatoes. The oven roasted tomatoes will keep for about three days in the refrigerator and about 6 days if you packed it with oil, i also can be frozen for up to six months.
Pan Seared Grouper Fish Fillet Recipe:
- 2 @ 300 gr grouper fillet (you can use any white flesh fish for this recipe)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Homemade Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
How To Make Crispy Pan Fried Grouper Fillet Recipe:
- I you using a frozen grouper fillet, thaw it t in the fridge overnight, discard the dripping liquid
- Pat dry the grouper fillet, set aside
- In a glass bowl, mix it with all the ingredients
- Let in marinated in a refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes
- Discard the dripping liquid and pat dry the fish fillet again
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil in a skillet, add 1 tbsp butter and swirl it to coat the entire skillet surface
- Wait until the oil start to smoking, put the fish fillet (skin on side down)
- Turn the heat into medium low and slide the fish fillet to dislodge it
- Wait until it the opaque area (cooked) reach into half thickness of your fish fillet for about 4-5 minutes
- Carefully flip the fish fillet with metal spatula, let the fish fillet seared for another 2-3 minutes
- Check the doneness of the fish fillet, it’s done once fork can easily inserted into the thickest part of the grouper fillet.
- Served it with roastd tomato sauce.
Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe:
- 500 grams cherry tomato (you can use any kind of tomato)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 3 tbsp olive oil, or more for drizzling the tomato
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp mix Italian herbs (rosemarry, oregano, thyme, sage and marojam)
- 1/2 cup water
How to Make Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 482ºF (250ºC)
- Coat the baking tray wih 1 tbsp olive oi, put the tomato with cut side down
- Put the garlic and shallots in the baking tray
- Season it with salt and pepper, drizzle more olive oil over it
- Roast for about 45 minutes until the tomatoes are completely softened and wilted, and start to wrinkle and some of the cut side tomato charred
- Transfer the roasted tomato, garlic and shallots into a food processor, process it unti smooth
- Scrap out the baking tray with water, set aside
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil in heavy bottom sauce pan, saute the roasted tomato mixture until it’s changing into more intens color and fragrance
- Pour the baking tray scrapping water season it with more salt, pepper and mix Italian herbs
- Let it boil and simmer it until thicken.
- Served the oven roasted tomato sauce with pan seared grouper fish fillet.