Japanese spring onion pancake or sometimes called chinese scallion pancake is one of my favourite savoury pancake. The secret recipe making a crispy and delicious spring onion pancake is made a papaer thin dough and applied a generous amount of oil before folded and rplled the pancake. Oil keeps each layer of rolled dough separated and thus made is crisp up when the pancake is heated in the pan. My sister like to add the whole part (including the white part) of the spring onion, but i prefer using only the green because the white part gor more moisture and it’s made the layered pancake dought not crisp up.
Spring onion/Scallion/Leek/Green onion pancake confused me from the very beginning when i’m googling it. Mostly everybody describe the dish as a chinese cuizine. The NHK WORLD show “Your Japanese Kitchen” call the dish Japanese Leek Pancakes, and i’ve been eaten the same dish in japanese restaurant. Anyway, who the hell cares about the dish come from, but i’m preety sure that this appetizer taste really great. Savory, crispy and distinct umami flavour derived from browned spring onion and wheat dough. Dip in your favourite sauce and it’s will be great evenmore.
Scallion pancake is one of popular assorted streetfood in China. Even here in Indonesia, I’ve never seen any chinese restaurant serve this as an dimsum, but my causin said that they did there. spring onion pancake serve as an appitizer before the real meal. This dish could tickle the taste buds papila to let your crazily starving for more delicated food. But i acctually assume this dish similiar to Indonesian bakwan or deep fried cabbage cake. You can add any spice within the pancake, but i prefer a simple garlic powder for it.
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1/5 cup warm water
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup scallions, green part
- Garlic Powder (Mc Cormick)
- Mix flour with water until it forms a smooth dough. Knead by doubling the dough over and pressing it down repeatedly, until the dough is even more smooth and very elastic. Coat this ball of dough lightly with 1/2 tbsp oil and put it back in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal parts. Lightly spread a little flour in your working area.
- Roll out one part of the dough until it is a thin round shape.
- Brush the top of the dough with oil
- sprinkle it evenly with chopped scallions, salt and pepper
- Springkle with some garlic powder
- Starting from the long end, roll the dough up tightly, creating one long snake of rolled-up dough, strech out a little bit
- Roll out the snake shaped dough bundle again into a snail shaped pancake.
- Roll out the snail shaped dough bundle very gently again into a flat, smooth, round pancake
- Heat a heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat, and oil it with a drizzle of oil. When the oil shimmers, pick up the pancake dough and lay it gently in the pan. It should sizzle, but not burn. Cook for 2 minutes on one side.
- Flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown.
- Cut the pancake into wedges with a pair of kitchen scissors, and serve immediately with soy sauce or another dipping sauce.
You may Also Like :
- Resep Tofu Omelette (Tahu Telur) with Peanut Sauce, Meat Floss and Garlic Chieves
- Homemade Ravioli Pasta with Chicken Parmigiano Stuffing ala Dentist Chef
- My Breakfast Supper: Oven Toasted Bread with Bacon, Sunny Side Up Egg and Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Pasta Recipe: Black Fettuccine with Spicy Tomato Sauce & Black Olives ala Dentist Chef
- Dimsum Recipe: Steamed Glutinous/ Sticky Rice with Chicken & Mushroom Filling ala Dentist Chef
- Resep Spaghetti with Spicy Tuna Sauce, Runny Egg Yolk & Parmaggiano-Reggianno Cheese
- Crispy Enoki Mushrooms Tempura with Teriyaki Sauce: Meatless Monday Recipes
- Pan Seared Marlin Fillet with Black Garlic,Chilli & Lemongrass Sauce, Balsamic Vinegar Reduction and Aglio Olio Pasta : Fine Dining Features Recipe
- Homemade Ravioli Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Filling(Step by Step) ala Dentist Chef
See the picture, it seems easy to make these pancakes
I guess, I will try it
yup, so easy appeizer…..
u should give it a shot….
these pancakes look seriously mouth-watering ^^
thankyou, u should give it a try…
What a delicious looking meal and with your pictorial, I would love to try it 🙂
Choc Chip Uru
brilliant article. keep sharing.
this site is very nice, thank you.
Looks delish, i like it crispy…
i springkled some ceddar cheese in the filling of the spring onion pancake
Pingback: Resep Chicken Avocado Salad ala Dentist Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Pingback: Resep Brokoli Cah Kapri ala Dentist Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Pingback: Resep Pare Cah Udang Pedas ala Dentist Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Pingback: Resep Sayur Capcai ala Dentist Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Pingback: Resep Salad Sehat ala Dentist Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Pingback: Resep Bakwan Sayuran Spesial ala Dentisi Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Pingback: Resep Ayam Cah Jagung Muda ala Dentist Chef « DENTIST CHEF
Savory pancake is more delicious with leek.
it’s your choice dyna…
I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again!
Oalah… ternyata ini pake dough yah, aku pikir kayak bikin omelet, bahannya di cemplungi semua…
I learn a lot lho baca postnya kamu 🙂
my pleasure mbak….
klo versi chinese emang dijadiin batter mbak, tp klo japanese pake dough…..
*itu kata Chef leung Ng
hi~ the pancake looks so good. BTW, this is a traditional Chinese food, the correct name for that is ” 蔥油餅 “. you can try goolge it by using the characters
I make these pancakes with mushrooms and bacon, try it, they are yummy!
Pingback: For the Love of Leeks - P is for Pa
This is a Chinese dish! Not Japanese!
di bali jajanan dikit banget pariasinya, jadi msti mencoba buat menu baru biar gak bosen makan yang itu-itu melelu. kapan2 aku mau buat yang kayak gini, bahan-bahannya juga simpel banget.
Pingback: Harvest Season is Here! | Allenbrooke Farms | We Are Farmily
Pingback: Week 3 Farmily CSA Harvest List & Recipes | Allenbrooke Farms | We Are Farmily
Pingback: Week 4 Farmily CSA Harvest List & Recipes | Allenbrooke Farms | We Are Farmily
Pingback: Week 5 Farmily CSA Harvest List & Recipes | Allenbrooke Farms | We Are Farmily
The Chinese Scallion Pancake is comfort food made in millions of Northern Chinese kitchens everyday. Every child saw the hands of their mom or grandma rolling these out. To see it here described as Japanese ( by the way, never seen this dish in Japan) stunned me. One would never see pancakes in Dim Sum because Dim Sum is the epitome of Southern Chinese Tea culture, never practiced in the North. Chinese dishes are intricate concoctions steeped in history and entwined with its geography. The pancake is as Japanese as the sushi is Chinese.
Dough came out dry. Fuck you.
Pingback: Japanese Spring Onion/Scallion/Leek Pancake ala Dentist Chef – My Blog
Pingback: Japanese Spring Onion/Scallion/Leek Pancake ala Dentist Chef - Tiffanie