Braised lamb shank is a popular recipe in western cuisine. The tought and lean lamb shank meat is slowly rendered into fork tender. Braising (from the French “braiser”) is a combination cooking method using both moist and dry heat; typically the food is first seared at a high temperature and then finished in a covered pot with a variable amount of liquid, resulting in a particular flavor.Most braises follow the same basic steps. The food to be braised (meat, poultry, but also vegetables or mushrooms) is first seared to brown its surface and enhance its flavor (through a process known as the Maillard reaction). If the food will not produce enough liquid of its own, a small amount of cooking liquid that often includes an acidic element, such as tomatoes, beer, or wine, is added to the pot, often with stock. Classically a braise is done with a relatively whole cut of meat, and the braising liquid will cover 2/3 of the product. The dish is cooked covered at a very low simmer until the meat is fork tender. Often the cooking liquid is finished to create a sauce or gravy.
Braised lamb shank with baked beans recipe is an earthy combination of gamey lamb meat with nutty beans. Baked beans, despite the name, usually stewed, in a sauce. Most commercial canned baked beans are made from haricot beans, also known as navy beans – a variety of Phaseolus vulgaris in a sauce. In Ireland and the United Kingdom, a tomato and sugar sauce is most commonly used. They are commonly eaten on toast or as part of a full English breakfast.
Braised lamb shank and beans is an easy recipe to replicate in your home, all the effort is witing the braising process. If you want the cheat version, you can using pressure cooking to cut of the period of stewing, beside, you can use the tender canned baked beans instead using the raw beans. In the United States there are multiple styles of baked beans. Boston baked beans use a sauce prepared with molasses and salt pork, the popularity of which has led to the city being nicknamed “Beantown”. Beans in a tomato and brown sugar, sugar or corn syrup sauce are a widely available type throughout the US. Maine and Quebec-style beans often use maple syrup. Canned baked beans are used as a convenience food, shortening cooking times for a meal, or may be eaten straight from the can, in camping or emergency settings, as they are fully cooked. They are sometimes served with chips, waffles, or the like.
Braised Lamb Shank and Beans Recipe :
- 500 gr lamb shank
- 1/2 can canned baked red bean
- 1/2 can canned white bean
- a pinch of saffron,
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, deveined
- 2 cups stock
- 1 cup white wine or rice wine
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
Lamb shank marinade :
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp HOMEMADE GARAM MASALA SPICE MIXTURE
- a pinch o rosemarry, thyme and black peppercorn
Spice Paste :
- 3 shallot
- 6 garlic
- 4 cm ginger
- salt to taste
How to make braised lamb shank with tomato, chili and wine :
- Season the lamb shank with marinade ingredients, marinade overnight in the fridge.
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil until sizzling hot, sear the lamb shank al over, make sure all surface are throughly seared. set aside
- Heat up the 2 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan, saute the spice paste with a low heat until the spice is throughly cooked. Visual aspect is the key! the oil is slowly separated and formed in the edge when it throughly cooked.
- Add the baked bean, saffron, white pepper powder, paprika powder and the seared lamb shank. Stir another minute.
- Pour the white wine and stock ,bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the curry broth is thicken about 1-2 hours.
You may also like :
- Braised Lamb Shank with Tomato and Chillies, served with Carrot Purée and Basil Oil ala Dentist Chef
- Szechuan Style Lamb Skewer with Indonesian Peanut Satay Sauce (Resep Sate Kambing Sichuan Bumbu Kacang)
- Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Curry (Resep Iga Sapi Kuah Kari)
- Resep Lamb Chop Steak ala Dentist Chef
- Lamb Biryani Rice Recipe(Middle East Style) / Resep Nasi Biryani Arab ala Dentist Chef
- Resep Lamb Chop: Pan Grilled,served with Tomato Concase and Butter Garlic Couscous ala Dentist Che
- Goat Head Curry/ Gulai Kepala Kambing ala Dentist Chef
- Homemade Smoked Beef (Step by Step Recipe)/ Resep Cara Membuat Daging Asap
- Resep Iga Sapi Bakar Bumbu Rica-Rica ( Grilled Beef Ribs with Indonesian Spicy Rica-Rica Sauce)
Lamb shanks are a favorite and your version here sounds delicious. I want to try making it with beans next time. Thanks for sharing.
you won,t regret it atcually….
ito, chef dimana sekarang? di resto sendirikah? 🙂
enggak ito, i’m a home chef actually,
having and running an Indonesian fine dining restaurant is one of my goals later on….
wow, i’m a woman, but i can’t make any…
hiks, kenapa ngga ada yang ngajarin aku masak…
There always be the first……
it’s all about passion Tina…hehehe
just that simple, nothing like rocket science actually
A wonderful & very appetizing lamb shank dish! Yummy!
Because of my cleanse, I cannot eat the lamb shank right now, although it looks amazing! The beans look tasty, too!
saving for next project….hehehe
Great looking dish!
YOur lamb shank looks perfect…like that you serve it with two kinds of beans…beautifully plated.
Hope you are having a fun week 🙂
actually it’s a kinda hard to separated the beans……hehehe
I love lamb and your lamb dish looks really delicious……mmmm. I always buy lamb meat. Have never tried the lamb shanks. Need to try one day. Thanks very much for sharing.