Greek salad (Greek: χωριάτικη σαλάτα [xorˈjatiki saˈlata] “rustic salad” or θερινή σαλάτα [θeriˈni saˈlata] “summer salad”) is a salad in Greek cuisine. Greek salad is made with pieces of tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, onion, feta cheese, and olives (usually Kalamata olives, other types of olives may be used as well), typically seasoned with salt and oregano, and dressed with olive oil. Common additions include the pickled leaves, buds or berries of capers (especially in the Dodecanese islands).Rather than simple olive oil and vinegar, as in a normal Greek lettuce salad, prepared dressings containing various herbs and seasonings are frequently employed. But actually i ain’t make a salad without vinegar…..
Making homemade greek salad is quite easy and not require any effort instead of slicing the veggies. I used to sliced my cucumber until pepper thin with my chef series potato peeler, but you can use mandoline instead. If you using potato peeler, make sure you use the sharp omes and shaved the cucumber in one shoots and without hesitate, just drag it rigt away one time and you will got your paper thin shaved cucumber.
Greek Salad Recipe:
- 1 cucumber, washed and cleaned, shaved with a peeler.
- 100 gr feta cheese/ goat cheese, soak in milk first if to decrease the saltiness (i use YUMMY FETAH CHEESE)
- 1 cup ripe tomato, cut into thin slice
- 1o green olives
- 1 small onion, cut int thin ring
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pickled green peppercorn, roughly chopped
- salt and peper to taste
- a little drizzle of vinegar
- Mix all greek salad dressing in a glass bowl, set aside ande refrigerate.
- Mix all salad ingredient and toss evenly with the salad dressing.