Veal Sirloin Steak Sous Vide with Rendang Curry Sauce, Served with Mashed Purple Sweet Potato, Taro French Fries and Sous Vide Carrot. The veal sirloin meat is packed with instant rendang spices paste and then vaccum packed in ziplock, slowly cooked until tender and succulent in a rice cooker pot waterbath in low temperature (around 57-58C) for 45-60 minutes, seared with blowtorch until the outside layer crusted and browned in both surface and then served with rendang gravy sauce made from the liquid and spices on it’s ziplock bag.
Veal is the meat of young cattle (calves), in contrast to the beef from older cattle. Veal is a gourmet ingredients and more expensive than beef from older cattle simply because it’s delicated and tender. I apreciate veal very much, my first veal recipe on my blog was a classic French dish Veal Teanderloin Escalopes, a thin sliced veal loin, lighly floured and fried with a little bit of butter then cooked with green peppercorn, stock and muchrooms. Because veal is lean or lower in fat than many meats, care must be taken in preparation to ensure that it does not become tough. Veal is often coated in preparation for frying or eaten with a sauce.
The veal steak cooked and served with spicy rendang sauce. Beef Rendang Daging Sapi is Indonesian dry curry dish made of cutlet of beef that slowly cooked for several hours in a spicy curry until the spices and the coconut cream darken, dried and caramelized. This is simply why Beef Rendang along with Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) in one of the most popular Indonesian dish through out the world. CNN even established rendang as number one of from World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods’ list. So today i make beef steak with rendang sauce, so it’s a sort of fusion of western cooking techniques with Indonesian traditional dish. If you’ve got lazy about making rendang sauce like i did, you can purchased the Indonesian beef rendang spice paste at Amazon, there are several brand, but i really love Kokita brand rendang spice paste. But if you really got the patience, you should made this homemade Authentic Indonesian Beef Rendang Sapice Paste Recipe.
Sous-vide steak is a gourmet restaurant popular preparation now. Sous vide is French cooking technique, the food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a temperature-controlled water bath for longer than normal cooking times for up to 96 hours, in some cases; at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 50°C (131 F) to 60°C (140 F) for meats and higher for vegetables. I’ve been try to Black Angus Striploin Sous Vide and it turn out good, even tought cut of Beef Brisket Sous Vide created a tender and succulent meat. Sous vide also used to pasteurized egg, beef and other meat to made it save to be eaten raw without cooking it. I pasteurized my beef tenderloin to make Yukhoe (Raw Korean Seasoned Beef Steak Tartare with Asian Pear).
The sous vide veal steak got evenly medium rare pinkish color from edge to edge eventhough i’m using rice cooker waterbath and ziplock bag instead of vaccum machines for making it. Damn i love sous vide cooking technique ! i can imagine if i got the real thing. Eversince i marinated the veal with the instant rendang dry spice paste overnight, the spices penetrated the veal all the way through and it’s taste pretty damn good even eaten itself without the rendang spice paste gravy. The delicate and tender veal beef striploin is marinated and packed with spicy rendang sauce spice paste. The hot and spicy instant rendang sauce blend well into a stunning dish, i can trace the chili, ginger, garlic and shallots, cardamon, caramelized coconut milk and many more spices in the middle of the veal steak once i chew it out. I guess marinating the veal beef with the spices is a very important step for making rendang flavoured beef steak.
I served the rendang spiced veal steak with crispy deep fried yam or taro french fries. Beside, i also add Mashed Japanese Purple Sweet Potato and sweet potato chips. The baby carrot cooked sous vide method in 90°C waterbath, eversince my rice cooker can’t retain that kind of temperature hence i’m using my beer cooler, just like my previous recipe Sous Vide Eel Fillet.
Once you’ve purchased instant rendang spice paste, please read the instruction within the package, one sachet (60 grams) used to be seasoned 500 grams beef, so count yourself how much to season and marinade your beef steak. Watch the ammount of salt you’ve add to seasoned the veal steak because the rendang spice paste is quite salty. I marinade the veal sirloin steak ovenight in the fridge by putting it in a ziplock bag and then vaccum sealed it by submerging the ziplock bag in the water partially and then sealed it once the air is completely pushed out of the bag. I’m not adding any butter or oil into the beef steak because the instant rendang spice paste is already contain coconut cream.As usual, i’m using my old rice cooker for sous vide this veal sirloin steak for about 1 hour in 57°C. Rice cooker is a very cheap consistance tools to mantain the waterbath temperature. My rice cooker sous vide waterbath temperature was 56.6°C , but it’s actually fluctuated from 56 to 58°C if i didn’t put the lid on and lighly cover 2/3 of the metal pot mouth with alumunium foil. This is learning by doing things, if you had a thermometer, you can adjust the temperature to your preference in by covering the metal pot mouth with alumunium foil partially; the more you cover the pot, the temperature will be nearer to the maximum temperature. The heat source of my rice cooker is on the bottom of the metal pot, so the temperature in the bottom and the surface of the the water bath is different with about 0.5°C range, so it’s necessary to flip it every 20-30 minutes to made the sous vide steak evenly cooked. Do not forget to submerged the vaccum packed beef sirloin completely on the waterbath during the sous vide cooking, putting some weight may help.
Right after i sous vide the rendang spice marinated veal for 1 hour in 57°C rice cooker waterbath, i take it out of the ziplock bag, drained a little bit and then seared it with blowtorch until the outside layer in both surface is slighly charred and browned.
Sorry guys, i had to make this teasing photograph of veal steak first cut, it’s evenly medium rare from edge to edge with delicious and charred outside layer and also very thin overcooked gray band mess. The veal steak is beautifully pink and very juicy eversince sous vide method is slow cooking process which the best wat to retain the moisture within the steak. Almost none of the moistutre loss during the sous vide method, there’s only flavour exchanced inside the vaccum packed ziplock bag.
Sous Vide Veal Steak Recipe :
- 1 Pounds (1/2 kg) veal sirloin steak (about 2 piece steak 250 grams each)
- Salt and pepper to taste*optional, (you may not using any salt if the rendang spice paste is quite salty)
- 1 Sachet Instant Rendang Spice Paste (about 60 grams), this is the Homemade Rendang Daging Spice Paste Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter*optional
- Ziplock plastic bag
For Serving: Sous Vide Carrot, Mashed Japanese Purple Sweet Potato, Deep FriedTaro French Fries
How to Make Sous Vide Beef Brisket Steak Using Rice Cooker:
- Season the veal striploin steak generously with rendang spice paste.
- Put the veal steak in the ziplock bag, (if using add the butter into the bag)
- Submerged the ziplock bag in the water partially to pushed the air out ouf it.
- Secure the ziplock seal once the air removed from the bag, let it sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours or ovenight.
- Place ziplock packed rendang seasoned beef sirloin veal steak in the preheated rice cooker waterbath in 56-58°C for medium done steak (i’m using my rice cooker without the lid cover and i cover 2/3 of the pot mouth with alumunium foil)
- Let it sit in the waterbath for 1 hour, flip it every 20 minutes and put some weight to let the bag completely submerged.
- Take away the sous vide veal sirloin steak bag from the rice cooker waterbath, set aside until it reach room temperature
- Pop the veal sirloin steak out of the ziplock bag, set aside the liquid, keep it warm (you served it later as a sauce)
- Sear the sous vide veal sirloin steak until perfectly browned and charred using blow torch flames, let it rest for at least 5 minutes before served
- Served the rendang spices marinated veal sous vide steak with taro fries, sous vide carrot, mashed purple sweet potato and chips
Recipe Veal Rendang Gravy Sauce:
- 1 tea spoonfull all purpose flour
- All the liquid and remaining rendang spice paste in the sous vide ziplock bag
- 2 tbsp butter
- about 1 cup veal/beef stock
How to Make Veal Brown Sauce or Gravy:
- Heat the butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan until melted, then add the flour
- Stir it and let is slighly bublly and slighly brown, lower the temperature then add the liquid and remaining rendang spice paste
- Stir it completely until no lump on it, bring it to boil and turn off the heat